Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mak
Helper I
Helper I

How to add more tables from database

When creating my desktop file, I selected few tables, now since its working good, I would like to add more tables

? How to add more tables to the project from the datasource already selected

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

There are two modes for getting data into Power BI Desktop.  

1) Import

2) Direct Query

You can't mix and match, so all queries need to be 1) or all 2).

There are pros and cons to both.  If your dataset is small then I'd recomment Import.  If your dataset is large (and frequently changing) then perhaps Direct Query is better - particulary if your source is MS SQL or SSAS

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Hi @mak,

In DirectQuery mode, all tables should come from same database. If you add tables of different database into the current Power BI Desktop file, you will get the above warning which indicates that you can switch to import mode.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

In Power BI desktop, just click the Get Data button on the Home ribbon and add your new query/table as a data source.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

When I click on GetData or Recent datasource and click on teh Table, it is allowing me to import data, but is saying, that I need to use it as an Import rather than direct query

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 6.08.22 PM.png

Hi @mak,

In DirectQuery mode, all tables should come from same database. If you add tables of different database into the current Power BI Desktop file, you will get the above warning which indicates that you can switch to import mode.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

The problem was more with how you defined the Azure query string, your Azure SQL url should be well qualified and begin with

tcp:yourdb.database.windows.net;1433

that resolved the issue

Hey mak,  Do you ever get the feeling that these 'helpers' on such forums just paste in answers to questions that you DIDN'T ask?....  Cuz they don't know the answer you need. ;-(

There are two modes for getting data into Power BI Desktop.  

1) Import

2) Direct Query

You can't mix and match, so all queries need to be 1) or all 2).

There are pros and cons to both.  If your dataset is small then I'd recomment Import.  If your dataset is large (and frequently changing) then perhaps Direct Query is better - particulary if your source is MS SQL or SSAS

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.