Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siddrow
Helper III
Helper III

How to add in thousand separator to pie chart figures

Hi

I've got a pie chart which is counting the number of lines that have the words "moved" or "no change". This column is obviously text, so I cannot change the format to number in power query or in the model tab. I also don't want to use the below function as is look strange when I filter on a specific location and the data is only in the 100's (see second screenshot). Is there another way to do this?

siddrow_0-1673414099162.png

siddrow_1-1673414127894.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @siddrow 

You have to create a measure to count the number of rows so that it can be formatted to show the thousand separator. I'm not sure how the measure you have tried looks like, but a measure is able to be used as a drill-through field. I have created a sample file attached at bottom. Below are my key steps:

Assume that you want to count based on "Status" (text type) column in below table, 

vjingzhang_0-1673945404214.png

You can create the following measure and add it to the pie chart. Select this measure and select "," as the thousand separator in Measure tools. 

Count of status = COUNT('Table'[Status])

vjingzhang_1-1673945539091.png

Then create a page 2 as the destination page of drillthrough. Add [Count of status] measure to the drill-through fileds well on page 2. 

vjingzhang_2-1673945737168.png

Return back to page 1 where the pie chart is, you will be able to drill through to the page 2. 

vjingzhang_3-1673946000345.png

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
alekhved
Resolver I
Resolver I

hi,

Try selecting following values along with display unit = None

Value Decimal Places = 0

alekhved_0-1673416811638.png

Thanks!

Hi, that did nothing unfortunately.

Surprisingly it works like a charm at my end. Well, the measure that you created, can we have a look at it? Also can you try defining the format as 

alekhved_0-1673417806471.png

Thanks!

it's not a measure, the value in the pie chart is based off a custom column I created. I did have measures in there, however it wouldn't allow me to use the drill through page function to display the data for the pie chart in my data table in another tab.

Hi @siddrow 

You have to create a measure to count the number of rows so that it can be formatted to show the thousand separator. I'm not sure how the measure you have tried looks like, but a measure is able to be used as a drill-through field. I have created a sample file attached at bottom. Below are my key steps:

Assume that you want to count based on "Status" (text type) column in below table, 

vjingzhang_0-1673945404214.png

You can create the following measure and add it to the pie chart. Select this measure and select "," as the thousand separator in Measure tools. 

Count of status = COUNT('Table'[Status])

vjingzhang_1-1673945539091.png

Then create a page 2 as the destination page of drillthrough. Add [Count of status] measure to the drill-through fileds well on page 2. 

vjingzhang_2-1673945737168.png

Return back to page 1 where the pie chart is, you will be able to drill through to the page 2. 

vjingzhang_3-1673946000345.png

Hope this helps. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@siddrow 

Use None instead of thousands to show the absolute number so when the denomination is 100 still the value will be absolute

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi

That's what I'm currently using, which doesn't solve my issue. As I select different locations in my slicers, the visual will change between 100 & 1000. I would like to show the 1000 as 1,000 but keep the 100 as 100, not .1K.

slicer set to a specific location - I want this to stay as is

siddrow_0-1673416095082.png

no slicer selected - i want this to show as 1,679 and 4,476

siddrow_1-1673416130041.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.