Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ericbi
Frequent Visitor

How to add header to a table?

a newbie question. 

I have 3 tables,  table1 [Client ID, Client Name]; tabel 2[Client ID, Role, Assigned Staff]; table 3 [Client ID, Gross Profit]

in table 2, Role has Customer service & Sales 2 types. 

I would like to create a joint table in BT showing Client ID, Customer Service, Sales, Gross Profit

I normally use sumproduct in excel, not sure what should use in Power BI. 

thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ericbi

In your sceanrio, how did you get GP = 2530? What's its calculate formula?

For other parts, you can achieve them in Query Edit. Please refer to following steps:

1. Go to Query Edit - > select Staff table - > on Home menu choose Merge Queries and merge table Client -> Expand Client table column Client Name

1.PNG2.PNG

2. Like step 1, merge table Shipment too.

3.PNG

3. Choose column Role and go to Transform menu to select Pivot Column. Values column choose Staff and Aggregate funciton choose Maximum.

4.PNG

4. Close & Apply. Then you can see the GP will be summarized automatically. If you don't want to sum it, then you can create measure for it.

5.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ericbi

In your scenario, there’re 3 tables. And the relationship among these tables is that they all have a column [Client ID]. Right?

So when you want to join these 3 tables in Power BI desktop. You just need to create relationships for the three tables. And generally, when the three tables have a same column. Power BI desktop will automatically create relationships for them. And if it doesn’t create the relationships automatically. You can go to Modeling -> Manage Relationships to create by yourself.

Something like:

1.PNG

After creating the relationships, you can simply drag the columns you want to one single table.

2.PNG

Thanks,

Xi Jin.

thank you for your reply.  pls see the tables and relationship I have. 

table.JPG

and below is what I want to show in BI. 

result.JPG
in Excel, I can use sumproduct to calculate the GP and use match&Index to find the CUS and SAL. 

not sure how to do it in BI. 

thank you. 

@ericbi

In your sceanrio, how did you get GP = 2530? What's its calculate formula?

For other parts, you can achieve them in Query Edit. Please refer to following steps:

1. Go to Query Edit - > select Staff table - > on Home menu choose Merge Queries and merge table Client -> Expand Client table column Client Name

1.PNG2.PNG

2. Like step 1, merge table Shipment too.

3.PNG

3. Choose column Role and go to Transform menu to select Pivot Column. Values column choose Staff and Aggregate funciton choose Maximum.

4.PNG

4. Close & Apply. Then you can see the GP will be summarized automatically. If you don't want to sum it, then you can create measure for it.

5.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.