Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmcquil2
Frequent Visitor

How to add data manually to query that updates when query is refreshed?

Hello,

I currently have a power query that pulls data from files from a folder. New files will be added to this folder on a regular basis.

I would like to have a column at the end of my query to manually input whether work has been completed in regards to the files added to the folder.

I do not have much experience with Power Query but it would seem that merging the column with a table would be the way to go but I have not gotten this to work correctly. The data will refresh without the information in the manual column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmcquil2 

Do you connect  to folders with Power BI Desktop as this article "How to Load Data from a Folder in Power BI"?

If so, after adding new file to the folder and refresh data from Power BI Desktop, the data from the new file will be added under the orginal data automatically.

(This needs your table in these files have the same structure)

The column you want to add is to monitor if the data refreshes successfully, right?

Based on my experience, if refresh doesn't occur successfully, it will pop out an window to indicate the error and provide error message.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Maggie

That is how I connected the folder however I sort the data at the end so the new data is not necessarily at the bottom of the query.

Also I realize I was not very clear on this part. Each row of data created is for a specific piece of equipment. I would like to keep track of when work orders are created for each piece of equipment. It would be a hassle to go back into every document in the folder and update them so if I could add a column in the excel workbook the query is in that I update manually, whether it be by checkbox or simply typing completed, that would be easiest. But I would need this column to refresh with the data whenever new data is added.

In my trials say I type "completed" in M11 for the data in row 11. The query has a range of A1-L50. If I add a new data point the data that was in row 11 is now in row 13 but the manually input "completed" stays in M11. 

I hope this makes it more clear.

Thanks again for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.