Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add custom tooltip for measure in column header of matrix?

I have a matrix with several measures in the Values section, which are displaying as columns. I have renamed the measures so that they display as nice, friendly, concise names on the maxtrix. But I would also like a tooltip to display which gives a more detailed description of each measure.

How can I do this in Power BI? 

10 REPLIES 10
atgeraci01
Regular Visitor

There is an idea/request posted in Fabric Ideas to resolve this Tool tip for Specific Column in matrix/Table.

Clara
Advocate II
Advocate II

You could maybe try building a measure with a SWITCH function that changes the result based on the column name? Then you could create one single report page using this measure, and use that page for every value. I haven't tried it that way exactly, but I'm fairly sure it would work. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Clara could you give an example of a DAX measure to do what you suggest?

Sure! I thought of something simple like

Tooltip = SWITCH([Value],
"Events reported","The number of events, regardless of status, that were reported during the selected period, and that have been accepted as verified",
"Events open","Etc.",
"Etc.")

Again, I haven't actually tried it, but it should be pretty doable with a few tweaks maybe

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for that the matrix cannot support the tooltip function. When you select a value, it will only display the current value in the measure.

H1.jpg

Do you want to select the measure, then it will show a text box to explain the measure?

If yes, maybe there are two solutions you can refer.

1. The first solution is to add some comments in each measure.

H2.jpg

2. The second solution is Drill through function. We need to create a text page for each measure, and put the measure in Drill Through.

H3.jpg

When we right click the Measure, we can drill to the another page to see the text. And we can click the back button to return.

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the PBIX that we have shared?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BTW, pbix as attached.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently, when the user hovers the mouse pointer over a matrix Column Header, the default behaviour is to display a simply text Tooltip which is the same text as the Column Header. See the image below. When I hover over the Column Header for "Events Reported", Power BI displays a simple text Tooltip that says "Value: Events Reported"

EylesIT_0-1595919192919.png

I want to be able to configure the text that is displayed. I want to display "The number of events, regardless of status, that were reported during the selected period, and that have been accepted as verified"

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for that Power BI doesn’t support the tooltip of measure name or column name.

Maybe you can insert a Text box on Measure.

how1.jpg

Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner : https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't seem to be the solution. This seems to require me to create a new report page for every tooltip that I neeed. I want to add a simple text string as a tooltip for each of 15 measures in a matrix. This method would mean I have to create 15 new report pages (have I got that right)? This seems way disproportionate to what I want to achieve.

Another problem with using this method is that I can't find a way to enter the tooltip display text that I want to use. There does not seem to be a Textbox visual in Power BI.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you please share some screesnhot around your data, the matrix which you are trying to build, etc. ?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.