Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

biflake
Regular Visitor

How to add additional column from existing data set

Hi,

I could not find a a way to add additional columns from an exisitng data set. It looks like I have to create a new query to accomodate that.

I thought it should be readily available to bring additional columns from an existing data set.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
EvenMyrvold
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I must agree with biflake that this should be a very fundamental feature, i.e.:

It should be possible to choose an existing source where possible columns in a table is selected and where the alredady selected columns are marked - and where you can then select the additional columns that you need in your dataset.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@biflake,

What is your data source? Do you add new columns into your data source and want to bring new columns into Power BI Desktop?  If so, you can click Refresh in Power BI Desktop to bring new columns.

Also you can go to Advanced Editor of the current query in Power BI Desktop, and check if you can add the columns in the source code.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm using SAP BW as the data source. I'm just trying to add additional column from the same data source. The refresh does not provide you a way to bring the additonal columns. If I select and load another column from the existing data source then it creates a new query and loads that column.

I did not find a way to add that within advanced editor..

This is not making sense to me as this should be a very fundamental feature.

@biflake,

You can add new dimension column in Advanced Editor as shown in the following example. Otherwise, you would need to re-connect to the data source , then re-choose the columns and measures you need.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.