Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

How to add a new column in the existing table

Hi All,

I have a Oracle table which is already used in the power bi desktop.  Now recently we have added some more columns in the table which I want to use it in the modeling. 

How do I import the new column in the existing table so that I can use that in the report. When I import it , it creates a new alias of the table and imports the entire table. I don't want to do the merge for every addition of new columns. Is there any other way ?

Regards,

Akash

7 REPLIES 7
AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

in the Query editor select your table and then in the applied step click the cog on the Source (first step)

source.png

this will open your query window Where you can alter your query and add in the new colunms

qw.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

SivaMani
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @akj2784,

It is pretty simple. Select the particular query in Query Editor. In the right side, you will see the applied steps.

Select the particular query in Query Editor. In the right side, you will see the applied steps.

Double click on the Added items, You will get a pop up to add/Remove fields.

Add items.gif 

Thanks for the short video. But I am not seeing the Added Items option on the right side. Looks like only when we have any new column in the table in db side, this option will come ? I am getting only those options which were applied by me like, Remove Columns, Rename Columns etc. Since I did not add any new column I am not getting that option. 

Could be very basic thing but somehow I am not able to find. 

Since my table doesnt have any new column as of now, I think I am not getting that option. I was just exploring this feature.

Hi @akj2784 ,

Are you using Import or Direct Query?

What is your source?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You probably just have to edit your Power Query query. Depends on what you did in your query.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I did not find the option to edit. I did not do much in the query. Its just the import.. 

@akj2784 wrote:

I did not find the option to edit. I did not do much in the query. Its just the import.. 

@akj2784

You can just go to the "Query editor" and click "Refresh Preview".

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.