Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jfsupeene

How to add a legend to a Tornado chart (custom visual)?

I'm using this custom visual to make a population pyramid: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380768

It works great! But... how do I get a legend to show up? The legend bucket is empty and there's no "legend" option under formatting. I can't just drag my fields from the values bucket into the legend bucket. Unlike the default bar/column charts it doesn't automatically create a legend. But I'm sure it has that capability, so what am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jfsupeene,

I have made a test with Tornado chart in Power BI desktop and the result is below.

Capture.PNG

It works great! But... how do I get a legend to show up? The legend bucket is empty and there's no "legend" option under formatting. I can't just drag my fields from the values bucket into the legend bucket. 

If it is convenient, could you show me the screenshots of the custom visual so that we can help further investigate on it?  And could you describe more details about what  value you want to put in legend field?

For reference, you could have a look at this video Power BI Custom Visual - Tornado.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jfsupeene,

I have made a test with Tornado chart in Power BI desktop and the result is below.

Capture.PNG

It works great! But... how do I get a legend to show up? The legend bucket is empty and there's no "legend" option under formatting. I can't just drag my fields from the values bucket into the legend bucket. 

If it is convenient, could you show me the screenshots of the custom visual so that we can help further investigate on it?  And could you describe more details about what  value you want to put in legend field?

For reference, you could have a look at this video Power BI Custom Visual - Tornado.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Cherry! That video is a good example of the problem and how to solve it. Initially my data was arranged in two columns, the same as the first part of the video, and you can see that the Tornado chart doesn't have a legend then. I had to "unpivot" the columns so the data is all in one column, as he does around 11 minutes in, and then the legend appears automatically.

"Unpivoting" columns this way means your data table has twice as many rows with more repeated data, so it's not an ideal solution. If a future update let you use the column headers as legend entries, that would be perfect.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.