Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add a custom filter to link tables

Hi,

I'm facing a problem of how to add a custom filter showing below to link tables.

Currently, I can add this kind of filters via built-in Q&A. But I can't modify it or create new like this to link tables. If I create a visual without this filter, it will show wrong data without the necessary link between the two tables (There is the relationship between two tables). 

Snipaste_2018-07-19_14-11-38.png

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous,

When you change the cross filter direction from single to both between the two tables, the pie chart will show as the right pie chart.

0.PNG1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks, I had no idea what he was asking. This is one of the reason I almost never connect fact tables directly. @Anonymous relationships and filter context is something I struggled with for a while when I was learning PowerBI. Here is a tutorial I put together you may find helpful especially as the bidirectional filtering using the both directions will not always work in complex models. https://filedrop.telusa.com/message/rbJ2yzoYSFn9Fr28FVTKsI

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Need more details can't tell what your tring to accomplish

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Seward12533

Just like this two table:

In Table A, TableA.ID links to TableB.ID. Each entity has its own parent (Parent Name). 

What I want to do is to show a pie chart with parents and related number of TableB.Names. The column of Type would be used for the slicer.  

TableA   TableB    
IDEntityNameParent Name IDType NameDescription Description 
1AAParent A 1Type AName Adatadata
1BBParent A 2Type AName Bdatadata
1CCParent B 3Type AName Cdatadata
1DDParent B 4Type AName Ddatadata
2AAParent A 5Type AName Edatadata
3AAParent A 6Type BName Fdatadata
4BBParent A      
5CCParent B      
6DDParent B      

However, I don't know how to create filters like this as showing in the screenshot. 

image.png

Many Thanks,

@Anonymous,

When you change the cross filter direction from single to both between the two tables, the pie chart will show as the right pie chart.

0.PNG1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft Hi Lydia, Problem solved! Thanks for your help. 

@Seward12533 Yes, I did also struggle with this problem for a while.  Thanks for your tutorial. 

Thanks, I had no idea what he was asking. This is one of the reason I almost never connect fact tables directly. @Anonymous relationships and filter context is something I struggled with for a while when I was learning PowerBI. Here is a tutorial I put together you may find helpful especially as the bidirectional filtering using the both directions will not always work in complex models. https://filedrop.telusa.com/message/rbJ2yzoYSFn9Fr28FVTKsI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.