Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zzzzoooo
Frequent Visitor

How to access a dataset online at the same time as another connection ?

Hi,

I have a structure (based on product) that I use on a lot of different reports on different files. Instead of creating the same structure in every file, I've tried to create a Power BI dataset, and publish it. From a new BI file, I could get data from that structure, but I can't get anything else after. Similarly, for my exisiting BI file where I have a connection to a database, I can't connect to that structure dataset neither.

So, the question is: is there anyway to connect to that 'Structure' dataset which is already upload online ?

If we really can't, then how would you approach the situation where a lot of different BI files use the same structure ? While we can add the same structure into different files, the maintenance of that structure will then become very heavy.

Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

Yes, this is possible using a new(ish) feature in power bi called dataflows. Dataflows allow you to  create a new "Table" in the Power BI service and then connect multiple reports to that single entity. this has three major benefits

-Reusability: as you just build this once

-consistency: as its built-in one place every report is using the same code

-Performance: because you would only need to run this once, then multiple reports can then use it.

You can look at the link I included at the top or watch this video by GuyInaCube for a quick introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuxofp0ZIg

Thank you very much. It's really appreciated.

But somehow, on my BI Services, when trying to add the Dataflow in the 'Create' drop-down list, I don't see that option at all. Under 'Create', I just see : Dashboard, Report, Dataset and Streaming dataset.

Should I do anything before that to get the Dataflow ? Or this option is restricted in my organization ?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.