Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dizzy49

How to Update PowerBI Service Dataset from PowerBI Desktop

I have a report that is a WIP so my needs keep changing.  I created the report in PowerBI Desktop and then Published to Service.

I set up an AutoRefresh from my SQL server and changed the report a bit in Service.

I needed to add some Measures and add a table to the dataset. 

How can I connect to the dataset that is in Service?

Can I connect to the report that is in Service?  I think when I published it again it overwrote the both the Report and the Data Set.  If I'm giving out links to the report and dashboard I don't think they work if overwritten.

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Dizzy49 

It is difficult to overwrite the dataset without triggering the update of the report and dashboard when reloading the pbix file.

Maybe you can try PowerBI  restful API to update the datasources of the specified dataset from the specified workspace.
Power BI REST API | Microsoft Docs    Datasets 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Looks interesting.  I can't connect to the PowerBI Service though.  I only have a basic subsscription so I don't have access to the Admin area to enable the Excel Analysis needed. 

When I entered the Workspace it asked me to log in, but then nothing populated in the Data Sets.  I entered it manually I received an authorization error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.