Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Summarise tables by month and name?

I have a table with 4 columns: Name, Hours spent, Date and Location. 

There can be multiple entries for the same name

I want to summarise the table by adding the amount of hours spent by a person in a given month and in a given year. How dothat? I have used the sumarise column to add it up by name but would need to display this information on a month and year basis.

2 REPLIES 2
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but please check a below pictuure and the attached pbix file.

If you turn on the option - Auto Date/Time, the aggregation will be automatically done.

Picture2.png

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

You should create a dedicated calendar table in your model then hook that to your fact table.  Then you can use the month / year from the calendar table and the names from your fact table to do the summary you are looking for.  Take a look at this article about how to make a calendar table.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.