Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndreasA
Regular Visitor

How to Sort Months Chronogically

I have viewed other solutions to another post but they are a bit confusing. So at the moment I have a chart that starts alphabetically starting with April and ending with May. Instead, I want to start with Jan and end with May on the bar charts. I have made a column with Month and another with Year. Then tried to create a custom column called concatenate but it didn't work. Any help would be apperciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Before you created your own column, do you already have a column that shows a date? Like Posting Date? If so, go to the link below where you can get a table for Date (Requires Azure Login). Then I would create a relationship between the datekey and the Posting Date.

Then take the the MonthName and Sort By Column against the MonthofYear.

https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/boyanpenev/datestream

SortColumn.PNG

Kris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a_mixed_life
Resolver I
Resolver I

Another option is to create a DateFilter table. See screenshot. Then create a relationship. You can then sort by MonthofYear on the Month column.

You can also download the Calendar from Microsoft Azure Marketplace.

DateFilterTable.PNG

Kris
spaxia
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

Make a column yearmonth 201601 - 201602 etc...

In modeling select the column that contains April, May etc and select Sort By column yearmonth.

Hope this helps

--silvano

Great what is the function for the column that i do? Will it be Month Number = ?

@AndreasA

According to your description, you want to have you month names appeared on axis and sort by month number. Right?

In this scenario, you have to achieve it on dataset level, you just need to click on your Month Name column and select Month Number in "Sort By Column".

Capture33.PNG

Capture34.PNG

Regards,

Before you created your own column, do you already have a column that shows a date? Like Posting Date? If so, go to the link below where you can get a table for Date (Requires Azure Login). Then I would create a relationship between the datekey and the Posting Date.

Then take the the MonthName and Sort By Column against the MonthofYear.

https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/boyanpenev/datestream

SortColumn.PNG

Kris

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.