Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zerosugar
Helper II
Helper II

How to Re-Enable Implicit Measures Without Tabular Editor?

I recently tried using Calculation Groups to show labels on a Line Chart with a Legend on it. However, I was not able to solve that problem with my Calculation Group and decided to delete the Calculation Group table.

I don't have Tabular Editor (not allowed to download on my machine), so I used a PowerShell Script to try and create the Calculation Group, following this method: https://dax.tips/2022/06/20/using-powershell-to-create-calculation-groups-in-power-bi-desktop/

However, now, I'm unable to use any Implicit Measures in my Report. This is after the Calculation Group has been deleted. I would follow the advice of this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculation-groups-and-Implicit-measures/td-p/1994845, but I am not allowed to download Tabular Editor.

Is there a way to re-enable Implicit Measures for my Report using PBI Desktop? I don't see it in the settings. Or maybe is there a way to do that using PowerShell?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@zerosugar You should be able to do this in PowerShell by modifying the DiscourageImplicitMeasures property of the model: Model.DiscourageImplicitMeasures Property (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular) | Microsoft Learn

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
brodoplovac

This could be done with Visual Studio. Visual Studio should be used as explained on this page:
https://bizkapish.com/power-bi-desktop/connect-to-power-bi-desktop-from-visual-studio/

We will just tweak the code from that web page.  As stated in the web page you should replace port number and database name for your PBID instance.

using System;
using Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular;
using System.IO;

namespace TOMSamples

{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            string ConnectionString = "DataSource=localhost:61855";
            using (Server server = new Server())
            {
                server.Connect(ConnectionString);
                var OurModel = server.Databases["d7e799b0-d15a-420d-9a51-11026b781566"].Model;
                OurModel.DiscourageImplicitMeasures = false;                
                OurModel.SaveChanges();
            }
        }
    }
}

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@zerosugar You should be able to do this in PowerShell by modifying the DiscourageImplicitMeasures property of the model: Model.DiscourageImplicitMeasures Property (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular) | Microsoft Learn

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I have not installed tabular editor neither I have uses powershell. Only that I enabled calculations group from settings available in the latest version but want to revert back and use implicit measures. How can I do it ?

@Greg , I'm having the same issue. I used Calc Groups and then decided to turn it off but my implicit measures still wont work. I'm unfamiliar with PowerShell. From what I found, it uses command prompt? I also do not have Tabular Editor but I do have DAX Studio. Do I get ahold of my IT dept? Thanks

I had to reach out to IT to get Tabular Editor. I installed it on a free trial and was able to turn Implicit back on. Althoug, Greg shared the MAX funciton so I basically turned Implicit back off and started using MAX to use my rows in the colums in my Matrix tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.