Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

UdayKiran
Regular Visitor

How to Page Navigation in Power BI Desktop

Hi All,

How to create a link between Page1 to Page2  in power bi desktop ,like Hyperlink same as in the Excel.I tried create a link between the pages using the text area but it is not working. 

Any Help.....

Thanks in Advance... 

UdayKiran.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Great idea u have , Its working in tableau .

But here there no option to do like this sorry, 

Hope in future they will add 

View solution in original post

carinat
Advocate I
Advocate I

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

How to create a link between Page1 to Page2  in power bi desktop ,like Hyperlink same as in the Excel.I tried create a link between the pages using the text area but it is not working.  

I think the reason Excel containing the link between pages is that there're occasions referencing cells from other sheets.

However the pages in power bi are visualizations and all the data can be seen in the data view and referenced in the report. So In my personal opinion, I don't see a necessity of that feature, you can switch pages by clicking on the page tab. However you can still report this idea on power bi ideas and people who have the same requirement would vote it up.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Tiff
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 

You can try doing it with SIGNETS , this is what I'm doing. It works perfectly... 
But now I know the post is quite old ! 

SanderW
Regular Visitor

With the bookmark feature something similar can now be achieved.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

In the ribbon under the view tab, make sure the bookmarks checkbox is checked.

Navigate to some pages, clicking 'add bookmark' in the bookmark pane on each page you want link to.

On your overview page, add a shape

in the shape's settings, you will find a 'Link' section
expand it and select 'Bookmark' as the navigation type
Select one of the pages you bookmarked as link.

Good Luck!

SanderW
Regular Visitor

Something similar can be achieved using the  bookmark feature now 🙂
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

Under the view tab in the top ribbon check the box labeled 'bookmarks'
Navigate to some pages and click 'add bookmark'
After creating some pages, add a shape to your overview page, and in the settings of the shape you will find link. Set the dropdown to 'bookmark' and select the bookmark you want the user to navigate to.

sits
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi, in 2017 can I have hyperlinking between pages please?

I know, you're going to tell me to vote for this functionality in some other thread.  No thanks.  I'm just going complain about how hopelessly unfunctional Power BI is so more and more people can discover this for themselves via SEO.  Maybe I'll check back in 2018 to see if this has been sorted -- long after I've told everyone steer clear of Power BI.

@sits wrote:

Hi, in 2017 can I have hyperlinking between pages please?

I know, you're going to tell me to vote for this functionality in some other thread.  No thanks.  I'm just going complain about how hopelessly unfunctional Power BI is so more and more people can discover this for themselves via SEO.  Maybe I'll check back in 2018 to see if this has been sorted -- long after I've told everyone steer clear of Power BI.

@sits

I think the feature is on the roadmap. See the drillthough page in this video(starts at 52:00).

...well, it's giving you even more like passing filter criteria... A "simple link" between pages is still not possible as far as I know... Or a simple klick on a KPI visualization can't bring you to an other page...

I have clients who love to fill the landing page with cards or gauges and you cannot use the drillthrough feature (a 16 year old feature in BI tools they added Sept 2017) in these visualizations.  Long way to go...

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

I think the reason Excel containing the link between pages is that there're occasions referencing cells from other sheets.

However the pages in power bi are visualizations and all the data can be seen in the data view and referenced in the report. So In my personal opinion, I don't see a necessity of that feature, you can switch pages by clicking on the page tab. However you can still report this idea on power bi ideas and people who have the same requirement would vote it up.

It's an absolute necessity! How anyone could think it's not, is beyond me??????????????????????????????????????

100% necessity.  When you accumulate 10 or more tabs for example it would be much more helpful to have a HOME PAGE that allowed a user to navigate with HYPERLINKS to selected views.

The tab construct was a great invention 25 years ago BUT Pretty Cro-Magnon when it comes to a modern BI interface.

I agree. It would be faster to sort through a file cabinet, than it is to continuously click through views until you find the one you are looking for.

carinat
Advocate I
Advocate I

Try to search for an idea that fits your wish (https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas).

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Great idea u have , Its working in tableau .

But here there no option to do like this sorry, 

Hope in future they will add 

I just developed a poor-mans solution to this problem using the drillthrough functionality.  A PrintScreen of the result is at the bottom of the post.

Create a disconnected table with one field and one value in the field.  I called my table 'Page Marker', the field 'Select Page', and the value 'Right Click to Select Page'.  The table name and field name are irrelevant, but the value will tell a user how to move to the page they want.  If you have room you'd want to be more verbose than mine.

Create a table visual on each page selecting the newly created field (Select Page).  I made the column header white so as to disappear, and removed the outline around the header.  I selected the Segoe UI font for the value, gave it a light gray background and selected Frame as the outline, all to make it stand out a little.  Copy that table to each of your report pages.

Finally, on each sheet put your new field (Select Page) as a Drillthrough filter.  Now, when you right-click on Right Click to Select Page, hover over Drillthrough and you'll be presented with all the sheets in your report, or at least those you added Select Page to the Drillthrough filters.

Drillthrough carries filters with it, which in this case would inadvertently mess up the page you're moving to.  By creating only one value in a disconnected table, nothing gets messed up.  It's not perfectly clean, but it does the job.  I did make a simple pbix example, but I don't know how to attach it.

If in the meantime you have found a better solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Simple Page Selection Example - Power BI Desktop.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.