Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gimxc11

How to Open URL Link in Desktop App

I have a Report including a Table which has a column containing a URL Link (to a PDF document which was uploaded using MS Forms). When I click on the link, the PDF document  always opens in the browser.

I need the file to open in the Desktop App, as I need to add a Stamp to it. Adding a stamp to a PDF document in the browser does not seem possible.

Is there a way to get the PDF to open in the Desktop app?

3 REPLIES 3
gimxc11

I am using Power BI Desktop. I now have found a way of doing this by enabling "Always download PDF files” in my Browser Settings (MS Edge). Settings -> Cookies and site permissions -> PDF documents -> Enable “Always download PDF files”.  

When selecting the hyperlink , MS Edge will open. A “Downloads” windows pops up, click on “Open”. The PDF document will open in the Desktop App and not the browser.

PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @gimxc11 

Are you using Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service. 
You can change properties and check (right click on any PDF file in computer and change the default APp to open the file)
By default, any PDF with URL should always open in your browser.

Thanks

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gimxc11 , I doubt that. Browser setting to force open it app can do that

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.