Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jorio
Frequent Visitor

How to Not Save Dataset in PBIX File?

I'm currently working on a PBI report which recently started pushing the 100MB size limit imposed by our source control solution. This is mostly one huge table (already trimmed down to the minimal timeframe) which I don't expect to get orders of magnitude larger but won't comfortably fit under that limit any time soon.

I'm wondering if there's a way to save my PBIX file so that it keeps all of the queries currently used, but doesn't store all the actual data inside the file? e.g. in the manner of how, when you recover a recently autosaved version of a file, it doesn't have any data, and you have to click Refresh to download it all again.

I would love to be able to save and publish my report like this, and then have the auto-refresh gateway send all the data through after publishing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @jorio,

Whether you're using DirectQuery or Import, you can save the workbook as a report template. This will save the file with all connection info, but no data. When the file is opened, it will need to load in the data before you can work with it but is a great compromise if you're using source control to store the file.

Regards,

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @jorio,

Whether you're using DirectQuery or Import, you can save the workbook as a report template. This will save the file with all connection info, but no data. When the file is opened, it will need to load in the data before you can work with it but is a great compromise if you're using source control to store the file.

Regards,

Daniel

If my post helps, then please consider accepting as a solution to help other forum members find the answer more quickly 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

jorio
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!! The other responses' suggestion of incremental refresh seemed to be relevant but templates are exactly the solution I was describing in my post.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jorio ,

If you are a Power BI Premium user, you can solve this problem through incremental refresh.
You can also save data to a database that supports DQ connection mode, and then use DQ connection mode to connect data. SSAS is also one of your options

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Gelgarico
Regular Visitor

Hi @jorio ,

Power BI have two option to connect your data. 

1. Import Mode

2. Direct Query or Live Connection

In your case, power bi used import mode type to read/import your data from your source.  try to use incremental refresh to add new data instead load entire data from your source.

or, I recommend to use direct query / live connection but there's a certain limitation interms of connecting to the source.

Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.