Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lcasey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to Lookup a Value in Another Table

Hello,

I am trying to lookup the country in BSA00RMMC and return the Balance USD.  My Existing table I am creating the Measure in is GL001111.

How can I perform this lookup? The below code does nothing

Balance =
VAR RMMCBALANCE =
    MIN ( 'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD] )
RETURN
    IF (
        HASONEVALUE ( 'BSA00-RMMC'[COUNTRY] ),
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD],
            'BSA00-RMMC'[COUNTRY], VALUES ( 'BSA00-RMMC'[COUNTRY] ),
            'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD], RMMCBALANCE
        )
    )

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See if my blog article helps:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Good-Ol-VLOOKUP-The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Lookups-in-Powe...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

"

See if my blog article helps:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Good-Ol-VLOOKUP-The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Lookups-in-Powe...

"

thanks, an interesting article, but there is always the problem with the syntax, I must replace often the ',' with ';'

if not I have syntax errors

Thanks!

The blog doesnt cover in depth on the Vlookup function---You do have a link to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg492170.aspx

But I have studied that link and still cant figure out LookupValue.   I use Vlookup in Excell every day with no issue but cant grasp the dax language way of doing it.

Basiclly I have 2 Tables

Each table contains many many country records with many duplicates

I simply want to sum up each country Balance from each table and show the Balance from each country

In Excell it is very simple. In fact in my spreadsheets its not a problem doing a vlookup on a pivot table.

But Power BI DAX  syntax is written in 50 different ways throughout the Internet making it impossible to understand how to use it at the moment.

The blog post discusses ways of doing the equivalent of VLOOKUP in Power BI. Power BI does not have a VLOOKUP DAX function so you have to do it differently.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I Understand. Yes I mislabled . 

Looks like I need to pass this along to a paid consultant.  Reading your article has only confused me and I still cant dfind any Solid resource showing an example.

Again, this should be so simple, and it is for excel and SSRS reporting. Power BI doesnt seem to handle this kind f thing very well.

The formula I provided worked for the same EXACT type of situation using a date field, but doesnt work on these two tables.

Wish Power BI had a Payment option so we could get answers from DAX experts quickly.  Maybee Ill debvelop that website and make tons of money.

Thanks again for attempting to help.

@lcasey

I assume you have multiple 'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD] for same 'BSA00-RMMC'[COUNTRY]. And you have country column with distinct values in your existing table. Right?

In this scenario, since you have country column in both tables, you should create the relationship between these two tables. Then you just need to create a measure like "=CALCULATE(SUM('BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD]))", it will aggregate the 'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD] on country level.

If you don't want to create relationship, you have to create a calculated table, summarize the 'BSA00-RMMC' table with 'BSA00-RMMC'[COUNTRY] column and an aggreagated 'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD] column. Then you can create a calculated column with LOOKUPVALUE() to get the 'BSA00-RMMC'[Balance USD] into your existing table.

Regards,

2016-11-04_13-45-51.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.