Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gaccardo
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to I get summarized results of a filtered table?

I have a table called Bugs.  It has numerous attributes, such as functional area, state, impact, etc. in addition to a calculated column call [Days Open]. I also have a summary table, created as follows:

Bug Summary = 
  SUMMARIZE( 
    'Bug',
    'Bug'[Created Date],

"Count", COUNT('Bug'[Days Open]),
    "Average Days Open", AVERAGE('Bug'[Days Open]), 
    "Min Days Open", MINA('Bug'[Days Open]), 
    "Max Days Open", MAXA ('Bug'[Days Open])
  )

The report also has numerous slicers that filter the bug table by the various attributes. I would like to see the summary based not on the entire bug table, but only on the bugs that are selected by the various slicers.   In other words, as I update the slicers, I would like to recalculate the summary table.  How can I do this?  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gaccardo,

I would like to see the summary based not on the entire bug table, but only on the bugs that are selected by the various slicers.   In other words, as I update the slicers, I would like to recalculate the summary table. 

No. It is not possible to achieve such a requirement. The same as calculated column, a calculated table (the summary table here) is static once it has been initilized. It won't be recalculated when you update slicer selection. Only measure can return dynamical results based on slicer.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gaccardo,

I would like to see the summary based not on the entire bug table, but only on the bugs that are selected by the various slicers.   In other words, as I update the slicers, I would like to recalculate the summary table. 

No. It is not possible to achieve such a requirement. The same as calculated column, a calculated table (the summary table here) is static once it has been initilized. It won't be recalculated when you update slicer selection. Only measure can return dynamical results based on slicer.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yulgu-msft.  I will redesign the report to avoid needing such a table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gaccardo

You can use the FILTER .

SAy for example, you have category slicer from BUG table, and you want the sumamry table to be updated based on the user selection.

Replace the table name in your summarize function as below:

FILTER ( BUG, BUG[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE(BUG[Category] ) )

Hope this works for you.

Thanks

Raj

Thank you for your reply @Anonymous.  I tried the DAX below, but it does not work properly.  It shows exactly the same results regardless of the values selected in the slicer.  I've also tried using ALLSELECTED('Bug'), but it, too, gives the same results.  I suspect that the SUMMARIZE is running when there is no context for SELECTEDVALUE and that a much different solution is required.

Bug Summary = 
  SUMMARIZE( 
    FILTER ( 
      'Bug', 
      'Bug'[State] = SELECTEDVALUE('Bug'[State] )
    ),
    Bug[Created Date Only],

"Count", COUNT(Bug[Days Open]),

"Days Open Average", AVERAGE(Bug[Days Open]), 
    "Days Open Minimum", MINA(Bug[Days Open]), 
    "Days Open Maximum", MAXA (Bug[Days Open])

)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.