Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fkhairaz

How to Create a Custom Date Range

Hi,

What we need is, suppose a client select's Jan

We need to have a Table, which will have all the dates from Jan 2018 ( And -1 Year )

Which would be from Jan 2017 - Jan 2018

With All Dates, and The sales amount next to each date.

example:

1-1-17   |  10,000

1-2-17   |  20,000

2-2-17   |  20,000

2-10-17   |  20,000

2-12-17   |  20,000

1-1-18 | 30,000

We used this

calDatesInPeriod = CALCULATE(sum(FactResellerSales[SalesAmount]),DATESINPERIOD(DimDate[FullDateAlternateKey],DATE(2007,01,01),-1,YEAR))

But does not work, we do not get the sales for every date, we get the consolidated date.

Thanks,

Faiyaz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe what you are seeking can be done.  Might take a few tries but here is the approach I came up with:

Firstly you need selection date table.  This table should not have any relationship with any other table in your data model.  This table only needs 3 columns:

1. Date for selection (1 row per day)
  2. Month for Slicer
  3. Start Date of Selection Period (i.e. for the row 25th of January 2018 you might hold the value 1st January 2017)

You should be able to build this date table in the same manner you would any other and use Power Query code to generate all of the rows and columns.

Now you need a formula that constrains itself based on this date table, but produces a null result if its value falls out your slicer date range.  I'd use something like this to achieve that result:

Invoice Sum = VAR startDate = FIRSTDATE('DateSelection'[StartPeriodDate])
VAR endDate = LASTDATE('DateSelection'[SlicerDate])
RETURN

IF(
	CALCULATE(
		COUNTROWS('YourInvoiceTable'),
		'YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceDate] >= startDate,
		'YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceDate] <= endDate
	) > 0,
	SUM('YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceAmount])
)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe what you are seeking can be done.  Might take a few tries but here is the approach I came up with:

Firstly you need selection date table.  This table should not have any relationship with any other table in your data model.  This table only needs 3 columns:

1. Date for selection (1 row per day)
  2. Month for Slicer
  3. Start Date of Selection Period (i.e. for the row 25th of January 2018 you might hold the value 1st January 2017)

You should be able to build this date table in the same manner you would any other and use Power Query code to generate all of the rows and columns.

Now you need a formula that constrains itself based on this date table, but produces a null result if its value falls out your slicer date range.  I'd use something like this to achieve that result:

Invoice Sum = VAR startDate = FIRSTDATE('DateSelection'[StartPeriodDate])
VAR endDate = LASTDATE('DateSelection'[SlicerDate])
RETURN

IF(
	CALCULATE(
		COUNTROWS('YourInvoiceTable'),
		'YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceDate] >= startDate,
		'YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceDate] <= endDate
	) > 0,
	SUM('YourInvoiceTable'[InvoiceAmount])
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.