Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jonny_matts

How to Create a 1:many relationship when null values are involved in a fact table

Hi there,

First time poster and beginner to Power Bi. I have a look up table with a column for a list of companies which I want to create a relationship with a column for companies in a fact table. There were nulls in the look up table which I removed through the Query Editor by filling down into those cells, and then removing duplicates. Within rows of the fact table and its company column there are null values and I cannot seem to create a 1:many relationship. I have also tried to replace the null values with the text 'Blank' to no avail.

I do not fully understanding how Power Bi treats null values. Does anyone know how to manage this?

Here is the screenshot of the relationship window that tells me I cannot have a 1:many relationship.

Power Bi Screenshot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jonny_matts 

So, you have find the problem? The blank field is considered as a unique value. If you have multiple blanks in the lookup table, you cannot create One:Many, instead you have Many to Many.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jonny_matts 

So, you have find the problem? The blank field is considered as a unique value. If you have multiple blanks in the lookup table, you cannot create One:Many, instead you have Many to Many.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

jonny_matts

Well it seems that I had a duplicate as I didn't account for case sensitive issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.