Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

janitor048
Helper I
Helper I

How to Create Gantt Chart Visual With Multiple Milestones On One Line?

Suppose I have the following data structure (from an Excel file but I guess this doesn't really matter here)

NameMS1MS2MS3
Task 115.03.202130.06.202130.10.2021
Task 201.02.202101.04.202131.08.2021
Task 301.02.202130.06.202115.09.2021

I would like to create a visual as a gantt chart that

• uses a free PowerBI visual (e.g. Gantt or Gantt Chart by MAQ)
  • shows one "line" in the gantt per Task 1, Task 2, Task 3
  • on each "line" shows three milestones for MS1, MS2, MS3 with the dates given in the table
  • each milestone has a color (or icon or whatever) according to its "category" (e.g. all MS1 are green, all MS2 are red)

I am of course happy to transform the data in any way needed. 

However so far I am simply not able to get it to work. Can't figure out the right data format and / or which data to put into which fields of the above mentioned visuals. Also this date hierachy puzzles me - in some attempts, when at least showing some milestones (never more than one per line) I usually end up with "earliest date" for those...

If all fails I would also accept to have each milestone on a single line grouped by the Task name.

Any hints would be appreciated. 

Edit: not sure why the table layout is messed up like this, should look like this

janitor048_0-1606346485907.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please check out the As Timeline visual.  I unpivoted your data and tried that.  Key thing is to uncheck the Stacked option in the formatting options.

mahoneypat_0-1606350966879.png

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
janitor048
Helper I
Helper I

@mahoneypat @Ashish_Mathur thanks for your replies! Unpivot of my table indeed did the trick, especially together with the "As Timeline" visual.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please check out the As Timeline visual.  I unpivoted your data and tried that.  Key thing is to uncheck the Stacked option in the formatting options.

mahoneypat_0-1606350966879.png

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Can someone help me with this? I have as a visual 1.5 and gantt chart visuals imported and i have a gazillion dates I need on the same x-axis / line, similar to M1,M2,M3 but I cant get it to work for me. can i get a detailed step by step?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat

Which timeline visual you have used?

Thanks

Hazari

Looks like the "As Timeline" custom viz is no longer available?

I've looked here, but get a 404 on the download: https://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-as-timeline

Also obviously looked via get custom viz in Power BI too

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor, right click on the Name column and select "Unpivot other columns".

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.