Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ElliotP
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to Create DayName + TimePeriod

Evening,

I have my data table, my date table and my time table. I'm trying to be able to calculate "Monday Morning". At the moment, I'm able to calculate the Day name from my Date Key using format in my date table.

I'm able to calculate the Time Period (Morning, Afternoon, etc) by using a conditional column and the 24Hour number and simply doing it that way (so 15=Afternoon, 8 = Morning, etc).

It would be amazing to be able to bring these two together but I'm a little out of ideas. They are on different tables which I'm not able to link with an active relationship due to them both have an active relationship with my date table. I've considered somehow producing either the Monday or the Morning aspect on the date table and then using the CONCENTRATE and RELATEDTABLE function to whip it together, but I haven't been able to get it together for one reason or another.

I've attached my pbix if that's of any help, I'm a little stumped. My Pbix Link

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ElliotP

It sounds like you are going with Phil_Seamark's formula so just use a SWITCH to do all your nested IFs like this...

Day and Time =
FORMAT ( 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Date], "dddd " )
    & SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] >= TIMEVALUE ( "00:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "06:00:00" ), "Night",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "06:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "09:00:00" ), "Early Morning",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "09:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "12:00:00" ), "Morning",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "12:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "18:00:00" ), "Afternoon",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "18:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "21:00:00" ), "Evening",
        "Late Evening"
    )

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Or you can just add the following calculated column to your [itemdetailsdogfood$] table.

Day and Time = FORMAT('itemdetailsdogfood$'[Date],"dddd ") &
if(
'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] < TIMEVALUE("12:00:00") ,
"Morning" ,
"Afternoon"
)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi

I've downloaded your pbix file.  I guess

- "itemdetailsdogfood$" is the data table

- "ExtendedCalendar" is the date table

- "HourMinuteSecond" is the time table

right?

If you want to have the "Monday Morning" column in the data table, you could:

- Add a column in the time table

DayTime = if(HourMinuteSecond[Hour24] < 13,"Morning","Afternoon") 

- You already have the DayName in the date table

- So you can simply concatenate these 2 columns in the data table with the RELATED function

DayPeriod = RELATED(ExtendedCalendar[DayName]) & " " & RELATED(HourMinuteSecond[DayTime])

Hope this helps

JJ

Thank you for the responses.

Yes @DoubleJ you are right about the tables.

@DoubleJ@Phil_SeamarkThat's 100% what I'm after. How would I be able to do the IF functions so I can have different time periods as opposed to a binary choice. Such as:

IF 'itemdetails$dogfood'[time] >= TIMEVALUE("00:00:00") & TIMEVALUE("03:00:00"), Morning

I have five or six catagories, Late Evening, Morning, Lunch, Afternoon, Dinner, Evening.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ElliotP

It sounds like you are going with Phil_Seamark's formula so just use a SWITCH to do all your nested IFs like this...

Day and Time =
FORMAT ( 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Date], "dddd " )
    & SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] >= TIMEVALUE ( "00:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "06:00:00" ), "Night",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "06:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "09:00:00" ), "Early Morning",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "09:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "12:00:00" ), "Morning",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "12:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "18:00:00" ), "Afternoon",
        'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] > TIMEVALUE ( "18:00:00" )
            && 'itemdetailsdogfood$'[Time] <= TIMEVALUE ( "21:00:00" ), "Evening",
        "Late Evening"
    )

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

I like the way the SWITCH statement has been used here to allow ranges.  No excuses for nested IF statement ever again!

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.