Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to Change Data Source Type and Location

In order to prototype a new report, I was using a load from an Excel file and a load from a SharePoint list. Each of these tables has now been loaded into our Azure server. How can I change each of these data sources to now point to their respective new Azure data tables? When I go into Edit Queries and try to change the source of each item, it seems to only let me change the Excel file to another Excel file and the SarePoint list to another SharePoint list. I'm concerned I will have to load each of the new tables and then recreate all of my expressions. There must be an easier way. If not, Microsoft should work this feature into the product to make this very easy for content creators. Thanks in advance for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I figured out how to do this kind of easily.

I brought my new tables into my pbix file thru Get Data.

I then went into Edit Queries, and made any data type and field name revisions to the new tables so they are just how I need them.

I then clicked on my first new table and clicked on Advanced Editor. I selected everything in this window and copied it (CTRL-C). I clicked Cancel to get out of the window. Then I went to my original table from the SharePoint site by clicking on it. Then I clicked on Advanced Editor, selected everything in this window and pasted everything I had copied from my new table over the old information. This essentially copies all the new source information and modifications onto the original table.

I followed the same steps for the other Excel file to convert it to the Azure data source.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I figured out how to do this kind of easily.

I brought my new tables into my pbix file thru Get Data.

I then went into Edit Queries, and made any data type and field name revisions to the new tables so they are just how I need them.

I then clicked on my first new table and clicked on Advanced Editor. I selected everything in this window and copied it (CTRL-C). I clicked Cancel to get out of the window. Then I went to my original table from the SharePoint site by clicking on it. Then I clicked on Advanced Editor, selected everything in this window and pasted everything I had copied from my new table over the old information. This essentially copies all the new source information and modifications onto the original table.

I followed the same steps for the other Excel file to convert it to the Azure data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.