Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nidquival
Frequent Visitor

How to Capture Individual Numbers in Dynamic Arrays per Cell

Good day,

I would like to ask if Power BI can capture the individual IDs in an entry with a dynamic count of ID values in an entry:

OperatorShift

The operator table has a varying number of values inside a cell that need to be individually checked and captured. This is because each number represents a specific name. For example,

OperatorIDOperatorFirstNameOperatorLastName
1ReggieAndrews
2DonaldBanks
3JohnIgnatius
4PeterJenkins
5AndrewPorts
6DavidSnow
7MichaelAnders
8MatthewLewis

The end goal is to capture the operator names and number of operators on a given shift.

Thank you,

Nico

4 REPLIES 4
nidquival
Frequent Visitor

I tried splitting the values, but being in DirectQuery mode, I was unable to do so. What we did instead was we separated the Operators into multiple tables. Here is the schema of the tables:

nidquival_0-1621565166499.png

The mainID of the Main table has active one-to-one connections with the different Operator[x] tables. As such, I cannot create active many-to-one connections from the different Operator[x] tables using the OperatorID to the Operator table. Currently, the relationships are set to inactive, and I am supposed to filter out the name of the specifically selected operator.

nidquival_0-1621572112526.png

Is there a way by DAX for me to filter the said table as I am using Directquery? 

Thanks,

Nico 

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nidquival ,

Not clear about the expected result you want. Can you provide the expected result?

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@nidquival , One option it split the first column of the first table into rows in power query

https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

@amitchandak, can this be done automatically using power query? The values will be coming from a database so the transactions will be constantly appended.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.