cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

How to Capitalize only the Initial letters in DAX

I have an Existing Column in the Model with Datatype TEXT. I need to create a Calculated Column with Intial Letter as Capital... Is that possible in DAX...? If so How to do that...?

I have row like : "JUST for An example"   ---- Need not to be only 4 words, they might be in between 1 and 6

I need the row to be look like this : "Just For An Example"... I want Intial letter of every word to be Capital....

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nvpraveenyakkal,

Why not use Power Query / M to do this task? There is a quick and simple way to achieve that by using lowercase + Capitalize Each Word transformations.

Format transformations in Power QueryFormat transformations in Power Query

HTH,

Pawel

Highlighted

I am importing the table directly from SQL Server to SSAS Tabular model and then to Live connected Power BI so I have to Capitalise Initials in SSAS tabular model by using DAX...

Highlighted

@nvpraveenyakkal wrote:

I am importing the table directly from SQL Server to SSAS Tabular model and then to Live connected Power BI so I have to Capitalise Initials in SSAS tabular model by using DAX...

@nvpraveenyakkal

AFAIK, there's no such existing function to do that in DAX. You may do the trick when importing from SQL Server via T-SQL. See some this demo and this.

Highlighted

Thanks... 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I don't think this question was answered properly according to the title of the question (in DAX, not in PowerrBi user interface). 

I am using measure and would like to capitalize the word, but UPPER function makes all the letter in the word capital.  

What is the proper way to capitalize a single word (not values in a column) using DAX language in PowerBi? 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Try this out:

UPPER(LEFT([your_string];1)) & right([your_string]; len([your_string])-1)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors