Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Calculate Difference between max and min in one column based on each unique value of another

I am new to Power BI and I was trying to figure out how to calculate the difference between the min and max value for a column "Idle time" and "Idle fuel" for each invidual or unique date

data.PNG

So for an output I would want something similar to:

Date                                            Change in Idle time                Change in Idle Fuel

Thursday, July 19, 2018               0.25                                        1.00

Friday, July 20,2018                     0                                             0

Saturday July 21, 2018                2.4                                           8.13

I would also appreciate any explanation as to how/why the solution works as I am new to Power BI and I am trying to understand more about working in the environment as a whole.

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

For your example, you are going to want to create a measure, so that it accepts the "filters" that are implicitly created when you put various columns in a visualization. Basically we will find the min and max values within the measure and calculate the delta. The visualization that you use to display the figures will apply a filter on date, and the measure will calculate the min and max for each of the dates

Change in Idle Time = 
  var __MinVal = MIN(Table[Idle time])
  var __MaxVal = MAX(Table[Idle time])

return
  __MaxVal - __MinVal

Change in Idle Fuel = 
  var __MinVal = MIN(Table[Idle fuel])
  var __MaxVal = MAX(Table[Idle fuel])

return
  __MaxVal - __MinVal

I would also recommend going through Microsoft's free guided learning for PowerBI if you are new to the platform. They cover all the basics including measures & calculated columns.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

For your example, you are going to want to create a measure, so that it accepts the "filters" that are implicitly created when you put various columns in a visualization. Basically we will find the min and max values within the measure and calculate the delta. The visualization that you use to display the figures will apply a filter on date, and the measure will calculate the min and max for each of the dates

Change in Idle Time = 
  var __MinVal = MIN(Table[Idle time])
  var __MaxVal = MAX(Table[Idle time])

return
  __MaxVal - __MinVal

Change in Idle Fuel = 
  var __MinVal = MIN(Table[Idle fuel])
  var __MaxVal = MAX(Table[Idle fuel])

return
  __MaxVal - __MinVal

I would also recommend going through Microsoft's free guided learning for PowerBI if you are new to the platform. They cover all the basics including measures & calculated columns.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple and great explanation @dedelman_clng.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help!

I was going down a much more convoluted path to try to get the same info (Taking unique values for a new table and then trying to find a "For Each" funciton to create the min an max for each value in the new table based on the values in the orignal table and calculate the delta from there).

Taking advantage of Power BI's built in features is definitely going to be a learning curve and I appreciate your help as I venture into it!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.