Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to Add font families in your theme

Hello, I'm learning about the possibilities edititing the json theme file. 

I'm not able to import all the members of a family font to be used in my theme. 

I need them to be available in the Text section of a - for example - shape object.

PowerBoy_1-1635431416071.png

I tried to modify the common mentioned properties of the theme file, but with no success. 

Also I would need them to be available in textbox elements. I learned about the "textbox" visual parameter

Why is so complicated to use fonts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

One option can be to use the buttons, currently buttons assume different shapes on the options and when you select the text you can change the font to the new font that you add to your theme maybe this can be a work around for the final user they will not see any difference betweent the button and the shape:

MFelix_0-1635855974197.png

The one on the left is a shape and the one on the right is a button:

MFelix_1-1635856002832.png

MFelix_2-1635856014776.png

Has you can see on the button I could put Algerian that is not a default font.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

For sure you have follow the steps on this blog post or a similar one but this is possible if you adjust the theme of your report.

Have you made all of the steps above? This can also be some limitation or error on the version. What version are you using?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

Yup, I already followed the steps of that post. I'm using the version of August 2021, but I tried with the latest from September and happens the same. 
I see that the font is available in the title font drop-down, but not in the shape text section. Also it only imports one font of the various that this family has. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is done at a single fontm you cannot do it for a font family.

Regarding the text box based on the text I made I was abble to add it:

MFelix_0-1635437482061.png

Algerian is not a default font, I added algerian on all the font faces:

{"name":"sss","textClasses":{"label":{"fontFace":"Algerian"},"callout":{"fontFace":"Algerian"},"title":{"fontFace":"Algerian"},"header":{"fontFace":"Algerian,wf_standard-font, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"}}}

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I can add a font in textbox dropdown. But I was asking how to do it in a rectangle shape. These objects have a Text section, and I need to find in their dropdown my added font. I'm looking documentation looking for specific basicShape properties for this, if exist. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saved a .pbix file as .zip. I consisted in a dashboard only containing a rectangle shape with the mentioned text field with the value "text" and font family 'Corbel'. Then I opened the Layout file and I believe this is the part where the object properties are defined:

"config": "{\"name\":\"ee7ffec01ceae13309b1\",\"layouts\":[{\"id\":0,\"position\":{\"x\":333.81011097410607,\"y\":127.84217016029594,\"z\":0,\"width\":280.54254007398276,\"height\":279.6547472256473}}],\"singleVisual\":{\"visualType\":\"shape\",\"drillFilterOtherVisuals\":true,\"objects\":{\"shape\":[{\"properties\":{\"tileShape\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"'rectangle'\"}}}}}],\"rotation\":[{\"properties\":{\"shapeAngle\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"0L\"}}}}}],\"text\":[{\"properties\":{\"show\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"true\"}}}}},{\"properties\":{\"text\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"'text'\"}}},\"fontFamily\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"'Corbel'\"}}}},\"selector\":{\"id\":\"default\"}}]},\"vcObjects\":{\"title\":[{\"properties\":{\"show\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"true\"}}},\"text\":{\"expr\":{\"Literal\":{\"Value\":\"'rectangle'\"}}}}}]}}}",

I'm looking at the visualType: shape and text: fontFamily elements. In the documentation I see no 'shape' as a visualName, only 'basicShape'. 

I tried the following code in the theme .json file but it didn't work either. Any ideas?

"visualStyles": {

"shape": {
  "*": {
    "text": [{"fontFamily": "Ogg Regular"]
       }
         }
}

Hi PowerBoy,

What helped me:

"visualStyles": {
		"shape": {
			"*": {
				"title": [
					{
						"fontFamily": "Open Sans Semibold"
					}
				]
			}
		}		
	}

But it's for a title of Rectangle. After updating a theme, I've also needed to recreate a rectangle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thanks for your response. Yeah, as you say, it only works for title, what I need is to show that font in the dropdown of the 'Text' section. 

Thanksf or your time. 

Hi @Anonymous,

One option can be to use the buttons, currently buttons assume different shapes on the options and when you select the text you can change the font to the new font that you add to your theme maybe this can be a work around for the final user they will not see any difference betweent the button and the shape:

MFelix_0-1635855974197.png

The one on the left is a shape and the one on the right is a button:

MFelix_1-1635856002832.png

MFelix_2-1635856014776.png

Has you can see on the button I could put Algerian that is not a default font.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I think I will try the buttons for now. Anyway, it's a shame this whole font thing, so difficult or even impossible. 

Like... how is it possible that only I'm allowed to add just one FONT to the ones available for button text? Is there a workaround for this also? 

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

To my knowledge no.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.