Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sweet-T
Helper III
Helper III

How "Strong" is a Median

Hi everyone, 

I have a need to learn how "strong" a median is, meaning, how close the median is to changing to a different number. 

Motivation: my company reports all of our sales prices to a governing body, and the median of our sale prices becomes our list price for the next year. I want to know how close our median price is to jumping to a higher number, or falling to a lower one. 

Example: In the list below, the median is 5. I would like to display that the median is 1 away from changing to 4.

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 18, 20

Any ideas would be apprecaited, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sweet-T
Helper III
Helper III

Solved it!
Used the Rank.EQ DAX function to help me achieve this. 

First I calculated high and low bounds of where the median falls: 

StrengthLow = 
    RANK.EQ(
        MEDIAN(Charges[Allowed Best])   // find the median of the allowed best to use as the target number to check list for
        ,Charges[Allowed Best]          // specify which column to use as list
        ,ASC                            // start from bottom of the list to the first instance (this will be the low)
        )

This will output the rank/position of the first instance of the median in the list. 

StrengthHigh = 
    COUNTROWS(Charges)                  // count the total number of rows in the Charge table
    -                                   // subtract the position of the first instance of the median
    (RANK.EQ(                           // find the first instance of the median
        MEDIAN(Charges[Allowed Best])   // find the median of the allowed best to use as the target number to check list for
        ,DESC                           // from from top of the list to the first instance (this will be the high)
        ) +1                            // since this includes the ranked number, we actually want to add one (n+1) to this calculation
    )

This will output the rank/position of the last instance of the median, before the list switches to a new number. 

I then just used a tachometer visual with these as the high and low bounds to show the stability/strength of the median. 

Bounds are the High and Low measures created aboveBounds are the High and Low measures created above

**Note: if you know your median, you can just substitute that in for Median(Charges[Allowed Best]).. I have several different products I want to check this against so this allows flexibilility based on page filters. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sweet-T
Helper III
Helper III

Solved it!
Used the Rank.EQ DAX function to help me achieve this. 

First I calculated high and low bounds of where the median falls: 

StrengthLow = 
    RANK.EQ(
        ,ASC                            // start from bottom of the list to the first instance (this will be the low)
        )

This will output the rank/position of the first instance of the median in the list. 

StrengthHigh = 
    COUNTROWS(Charges)                  // count the total number of rows in the Charge table
    -                                   // subtract the position of the first instance of the median
    (RANK.EQ(                           // find the first instance of the median
        ,DESC                           // from from top of the list to the first instance (this will be the high)
        ) +1                            // since this includes the ranked number, we actually want to add one (n+1) to this calculation
    )

This will output the rank/position of the last instance of the median, before the list switches to a new number. 

I then just used a tachometer visual with these as the high and low bounds to show the stability/strength of the median. 

Bounds are the High and Low measures created aboveBounds are the High and Low measures created above

**Note: if you know your median, you can just substitute that in for Median(Charges[Allowed Best]).. I have several different products I want to check this against so this allows flexibilility based on page filters. 

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sweet-T ,

I am not sure what desired result would you want, could you please share your sample data or desired output screenshots for further analysis?Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Amy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.