Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

T2
Helper II
Helper II

How much memory is too much memory for a Power BI Development environment?

@Greg_Deckler provided useful advice a few years ago on minimum specs here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/computer-specification/m-p/173966/highlight/true#M75942

Our Power BI team expects to continue working from home for quite some time so we are considering standing up larger VMs on-premises, which in addition to being closer to our data, can be beefier than our current laptops, which are 16GB, Intel Core i5-8350U (1.70GHz, 1896 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors), HPs running Windows 10 Enterprise.

Assuming we provided the equivalent nominal CPU allocation for the three of us, how much memory is too much memory for an individual user? Will we never hit 32GB memory due to limitations in Power BI itself?

We'd appreciate the community's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @T2 

There is no such thing as too much memory for Power BI, if you build huge report with a lot of pages and a lot of visuals and/or big data models then you can quite quickly run out of memory, especially if you have to compare new vs old version of the file.

You can start at 32 and get more allocation later if not enough if its VM it should be easy to expand.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@T2 If you specifically talks about memory, it depends on your dataset size, # of columns with unique value etc. You can check all these details in vertipaq analyzer by connecting your model from DAX studio about the column unique values, which table/column is consuming maximum memory etc  

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for the quick reply. As we worked with increasingly larger data sets we became aware of such tools.

However, my question is not about how much memory we are consuming.

My question is, more simply, at what point will having more free memory available NOT make a difference to the Power BI Desktop client. Our machines have 16GB of memory. If we added another 16GB-which I don't know is possible on my particular model-would Power BI be able to take advantage of it all? How about 64GB? I had a 64GB Dell Precision machine before this one but I never got close to pegging it with Power BI.  At the same time, I don't know if Power BI could take advantage of another 32GB of free memory.

That is the understanding we seek.

Thanks, again! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.