Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

skopcak
Helper I
Helper I

How many times occurs the same number in a column?

Hello, I have a numeric table, and I need to determine how many times the value occurs in the table and list it on the New Column

Ex.

catalogresult

can you please advise what the formula in Power Query Editor (M)?

thank you answer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

you can use "Earlier" in M as well - this enables you to consolidate @tringuyenminh92 's steps into one line of code like this:

result = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (Earlier) => List.Count(List.Select(Source[catalog], each _=Earlier[catalog])))

Where "Source" is the reference to your table.

Technical details, if of interest:

It does very much the same like the DAX-function:

Source  refers to the whole table like All(Data)

[catalog], each _ introduces the column "catalog" as the object to work on like Data), Data[Catalog]

=Earlier[catalog] reads almost the same like in DAX: =EARLIER(Data[Catalog])

Just that in M, you can replace the string "Earlier" by anything you want. It doesn't have a meaning, but just makes sure that the inner-context (which you adress by using the underscore "_") has a different adress than the outer one 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @skopcak,

If you still need creating couting column by power query (M), please check my sample:

• Create clone of your Catalog table as buffer

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAeJYnWglCwMDAyDHCMwxArKMwSxjIMsEzAIpNUVWaobMMVeKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Catalog = _t, No = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Catalog", type text}, {"No", Int64.Type}}),
    #"TableBuffer" = Table.Buffer(#"Changed Type")
in
    #"TableBuffer"

• Create CountItem function

(item) =>
let
    #"ListCatalog" = Table.ToList(Table.SelectColumns(BufferOfData,"Catalog")), 
    result = List.Count(List.Select(#"ListCatalog", each _ = item))
in
    result

• Invoke custom function for your Catalog table (could do this by UI)
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAeJYnWglCwMDAyDHCMwxArKMwSxjIMsEzAIpNUVWaobMMVeKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Catalog = _t, No = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Catalog", type text}, {"No", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Result", each CountItem([Catalog]))
in

#"Invoked Custom Function"

Screenshot 2017-02-04 23.43.16.png

Sample file

Hello,

my source data comes from

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Tabulka1"]}[Content]

You can advise how to change the source
your code

let

thank you answer

Hi there,

you can use "Earlier" in M as well - this enables you to consolidate @tringuyenminh92 's steps into one line of code like this:

result = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", (Earlier) => List.Count(List.Select(Source[catalog], each _=Earlier[catalog])))

Where "Source" is the reference to your table.

Technical details, if of interest:

It does very much the same like the DAX-function:

Source  refers to the whole table like All(Data)

[catalog], each _ introduces the column "catalog" as the object to work on like Data), Data[Catalog]

=Earlier[catalog] reads almost the same like in DAX: =EARLIER(Data[Catalog])

Just that in M, you can replace the string "Earlier" by anything you want. It doesn't have a meaning, but just makes sure that the inner-context (which you adress by using the underscore "_") has a different adress than the outer one 🙂

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @skopcak,

As @ImkeF's suggestion, it's clean and in short now, you could refer it for your case. 

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @skopcak,

Could I achieve it by DAX?  Create calculated column

result = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Data[Catalog]),FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Catalog]=EARLIER(Data[Catalog])))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors