Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How make IF returns value from column

Hello!

I'm newbie at Power BI and Im struggling to solve a simple question.

I did a search on forum but there is so much information and i didn't find what i need especifically.

So let's go.

My trouble is with the "IF"

What I need to do is

IF(ColumnA = 0, "nok", *return the value in ColumnA*)

For exemple

ColumnAColumn with IF
0nok
0nok

The columnA is a float type.

I tried:

IF('Table'[ColumnA] = 0, "nok", SUM('Table'[ColumnA]))

IF('Table'[ColumnA] = 0, "nok", ALL('Table'[ColumnA]))

IF('Table'[ColumnA] = 0, "nok", VALUE('Table'[ColumnA]))

but i got the error: 

Expressions that generate variable data types cannot be used to define calculated columns.

Anybody can help me, please? 😞 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

In my opinion, I think the error is because of the data type.

Please try to change the data type of DDL Pending QTY to TEXT, and try the below for creating a new column.

Coluna = IF('Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty] = "0", "NOK", 'Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty])

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Anonymous 

If you are trying to create a new column, please try the below.

new column = 

IF('Table'[ColumnA] = 0, "nok", 'Table'[ColumnA])

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

It didnt work 😞

i got the message:

Expressions that generate variable data types cannot be used to define calculated columns.

Hi, @Anonymous 

Thank you for your feedback.

If it is OK with you, please share your sample pbix file's link here, then I can try to look into it to come up with a more accurate solution.

Thank you.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure!

PBIX 

But you'll need some explanations.

I created a generic table to explain my issue.

On my pbix file, i have to do the IF with the column "DDL Pending Qty", so:

Column = IF('Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty] = 0, "NOK", 'Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty])

Hi, 

Thank you for your message.

I think you shared a link address of your PBI service website, which I cannot access.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry 😞

How can i share my sample pbix file's link?

Sorry for this kind of question

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can save your sample pbix file in OneDrive or GoogleDrive, and you can share the link here.

Thank you.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Heres the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HcMUlF0eddyPO6LA6XLgRR_mSwlsonSA?usp=sharing 

Note: The column "DDL Pending Qty" is from the file "Base SAP"

Hi, @Anonymous 

In my opinion, I think the error is because of the data type.

Please try to change the data type of DDL Pending QTY to TEXT, and try the below for creating a new column.

Coluna = IF('Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty] = "0", "NOK", 'Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty])

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, thank you very much!
It worked!

I tried this:
Coluna = IF(CONVERT('Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty], STRING) = "0", "", CONVERT('Base SAP'[DDL Pending Qty], STRING))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.