Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

balajikannan

How good Power BI Desktop can handle 10Million or 20 Million records and refresh for the same

Can you please provide me your inputs on how good power Bi can handle 20 or 30 Million records for a dashboard data source?

How good is the Data source refresh extract goes? Will it be good to have scheduled refresh or Live?

I have read some where that it will handle 1 million rows in one hour, Isn't it very slow?. I have used Tableau and that refresh 1 million rows in 3-4 mins.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @balajikannan,

"I have read some where that it will handle 1 million rows in one hour, Isn't it very slow?. I have used Tableau and that refresh 1 million rows in 3-4 mins."

This if only for
Streaming data in your dashboards and reports using Microsoft Power BI REST API or Microsoft Stream Analytics.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

In your scenario, which data source are your using?

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I'm not clear what you are asking or where your intel has come from. I have power bi data models on powerbi.com that have 30 million rows of data. I have a gateway to an ultrabook sitting on my home network running SQL Server. 

It takes about 20 minutes to refresh the data. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt,
i have about 7.3M rows for now that may grow to 14.5 by the year end (this will be the max i need). Currently, i import data from my view on SQL server, which is a simple select all query. But on my PBI takes about

1. 20 mins only Evaluating

2. another 15 mins or so "waiting for server name"

3. loading rows takes like 12 to 15 mins

My RAM is 16GB.

any idea ? Thanks  

Anonymous
Not applicable

So true , yes it can handle that data, its in memory so data limits with your hardware, Read this  thread (12 Million )https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Number-of-records-limitation/td-p/9552  

If your RAM is less it will be slow, I try Stack overflow (110 GB) with 16GB RAM it hang my PBI File.

I read the topis and it was ended like 1 million rows in one hour if it's a data source extract. That's not good.

The business expectation is they need to have updated dashboard with new data every day by 10 am. For eg., if i have 20 M rows and it will take 20 hours to do the refresh. So the business can be able to see the updated metrics only the next day.

Can anybody give some clear cut information whether Power BI can or cannot?

Becasue based on this we can able to propose Power BI for future implementation else need to stuck with trustable other BI tools.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.