Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

khalilliraqui
Regular Visitor

How does power bi works in depth ?

Me and my team mate are very interested about using power Bi in our company, i was charmed by all the beautiful reports and Dashboards that you can create with power Bi, but i have many unanswred questions, i search on the internet but i can't find a convinient answer, here is my questions if someone can aswer them i will be very grateful 🙂  :

1 - Let's supose i've created a model ( 1 fact table and 4 dimention ) i've created an associed report, and then publish it, how data is stocked ? is the cube comutated (like ssas) and stocked as a dataMart or data are stocked in tables and the agregation query are rexecuted when showing the Report or how ?

2 - When i published the report to web, power bi avert me that the report will be public and every one having the link can access it, considering that i will put the report as iframs in our application, is it secure to keep it like this ? or there is a possibility to secure it to be accesed only from application ?

3 - In the Report published i can see all the records of the original database by right clicking in a chart and clicking "show records" i want to let only "show data" and take out "show records" how can i do that ?

3 REPLIES 3
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @khalilliraqui,

Keep in mind that Power BI is really about self-service Dashboards and Reporting. Quite different to multidimensional/OLAP analysis that you are talking about.

1. Power BI is not multidimentional. You do not create cubes within Power BI Desktop itself.

2. You can embed Power BI in many ways that are secure. There is a webpart for Sharepoint Online. If it is a non-Microsoft product, then GitHub has a number of solutions. I'm not an expert on this, but there are 100% secure options available. I know of a few companies that embed Power BI into their intranets.

3. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the 'show records' mean. There is 'export data'.

Cheers,

Daniel

Thank you for your reply,

1 - So when you publish the report and for example you filter by gender, powerbi recalculate the query ? and how data is stored, in tables ?

3 - this is what i'm talking about sory it's in french, the translate is : "show records" the first and "show data" the seconde.

Sans titre.png

Hi @khalilliraqui,

Firstly, when you filter your report, Power BI recalculate the query, and in Power BI Service, data that is uploaded from users is typically sent to Azure BLOB storage, and all metadata as well as artifacts for the system itself are stored in Azure SQL Database. For more details, please review this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/ .

Secondly, when you drag raw fields of tables to Values section to create charts, there is no method to take out "show records" option, however, if you drag measures to Values section to create charts, the "show records" option will not appear.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.