Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wpf_
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How does calculated columns work in directquery?

So if i understand correctly, for import mode, calculated columns are loaded into the model during a data refresh.  And once it's loaded any queries are to the calculated column stored within the local bi file. 

But what happens with calculated column in directqueries?  Are calculated columns persisted in the data source and when we refresh the visuals it queries the data source every time?  

I have created a custom column through power query vs calculated column for directquery and it seems like the calculated column is slower for the report. Any clarifications would help. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wpf_ That is exactly what I think happens behind the scenes, yes.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello good morning, the calculated column can be used as the end of a relationship in a composite model?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@wpf_ I don't believe that the values are persisted in the data model or the data source. For example, I added a calculated column to a DirectQuery model and it added a total of about 600 bytes to the data model and added nothing to the data source. So, likely it just stores the formula for the calculated column in the PBIX file in the Data Model.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

Thank you.  

So does that mean that every time I refresh a visual that contains a measure that references a calculated column, it queries the data source  and calculates the calculated column then the measure on demand?

@wpf_ That is exactly what I think happens behind the scenes, yes.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

Makes sense.  I guess that’s why the calculated column version I had took longer then the custom column version. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.