Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you show an organization hierarchy?

Hi,

I've a below example dataset.

Employee_IDEmployee_NameManager's Employee_ID
A001Stuart PaulB001
A003Heather TC001
B001Robert GC001
Z001Doug FZ001
D001Tom SB001
C001Danny Duke

Z001

I'm trying to show the hirerarchy for example

1. Lets say I pick an employee with their ID I would need to know their hirerarchy until it ends at CEO. Based on the above example if I pick Stuart I should get

Sturart reports to > Robert > Danny > Doug (CEO)

2. Also if I pick a manager I would want to know the hierarchy as above and I would also want to know the subbordinates of that manager for example

a. Let's say I pick "Robert"

I want something like below

•  Stuart and Tom Report to Robert > Danny > Doug

b. Let's say I pick "Danny" I want the hirerarchy to show something like below.

hirrarchy.png

Employee has a Manager. Manager is an Employee and in turn reports to an Executive who is also an Employee.

There might be n level of hirararchy.

I am having troble to model the data in such a way which displays the required hirerarchy.

Please advise.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

The soluton in that link gives me just the top hirerarchy but I'm mainly looking for reportees (subordinates) as well.

Lets say if I pick a manager I want to know whom does he report to and all the subbordinates of him as well.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create an unrelated Employee_ID table as slicer.

Table 2 = DISTINCT('Table'[Employee_ID])

Use the path function to find the entire path from one member in original table and create Path length column.

Path = PATH('Table'[Employee_ID],'Table'[Manager's Employee_ID])
Path Length = PATHLENGTH('Table'[Path])

Create a measure to determine whether it is the longest path and apply it in visual level filter.

Measure = IF(SEARCH(SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Employee_ID]),MAX('Table'[Path]),1,0)>0&&MAX('Table'[Path Length])=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Path Length]),ALL('Table')),1,0)

test_path.PNG

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm showing the details in a matrix and the measure would not work. For example if I pick A003 it wouldnt work for that Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry, according to the example you provided and the result you expect, I can test it out.

Please refer to the sample pbix I shared to check if any steps have been omitted.

You can also calculate the real data with the method like this.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem sloved?
If not, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Liang

Anonymous
Not applicable

@V-lianl-msft I did check the Sample.pbix and when I select A003 the path is empty which is not correct right?

So the idea which I came up with is create a path and put a text search on that so now I can search for an ID and it shows all the values associated to that ID including A003.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.