Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robertbu
Frequent Visitor

How do you display your top 2 vendors by a certain measure using ranking

Hi @JarroVGIT ,

You helped here with the ranking measure, which I hoped to use for filtering a visualization.

It would be interesting for me to see how you displayed the values 

How would you go about creating a visual with two bars showing us the number of orders by vendor for the top 2 vendors basically?

I wanted to use the ranking measure so I can filter the top x vendors by number of orders, or amount, etc.

As I quickly learned it seems I cannot use measures to filter visuals, however the added complexity I understand now is that the in-memory calculation doesn't show the value of the ranking either in a visualisation. (this comes with a natural question: what is a good use of the ranking if we can't display it - is it used just for pre-processing to calculate other measures? ) Could I copy it's values in a column so I can then use it for filtering?

Cheers,

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can use the Ranking measure in a visual filter like this:

Note the filter on RankingNote the filter on Ranking

I dragged the measure to the visual filter myself and set it to (for everything lower than 3 (so 1 and 2 haha)). This shows the 2 vendors in a diagram 🙂 This measure is not aware of the filtered context (it creates its own context by using the ALL statement in the first variable). Does this help?

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can use the Ranking measure in a visual filter like this:

Note the filter on RankingNote the filter on Ranking

I dragged the measure to the visual filter myself and set it to (for everything lower than 3 (so 1 and 2 haha)). This shows the 2 vendors in a diagram 🙂 This measure is not aware of the filtered context (it creates its own context by using the ALL statement in the first variable). Does this help?

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Makes sense, so you can't use it in slicers, but works well in filters.

All good, this is the way forwards then, thank you again!

Robert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.