Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbherbener
Regular Visitor

How do we use treemap color saturation?

Hi,

I'm trying to use the 'Color Saturation' setting for a Treemap with current PowerBI Desktop, but when I drag a field to the "Drag Data Fields Here" box the yellow border lights up momentarily but my data field is not displayed in that area and the color saturation is not affected.  Are there specific requirements for the kind of data field that can be used to control color saturation?

thanks!

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mbherbener,

We are not able to use Details and Color Saturation at the same time in a Treemap visual. We can only put fields in Details or Color Saturation separately each time.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe that field has to be Numeric, at least that is what works for me. That being said, if you drag a Text field to it, it should switch it to "Count of Column". What kind of field are you using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've tried numeric - whole number and decimal.

do you know if it has to be in a certain range - 0 - 1 or 1 - 100 or something?  Are there other limits on when/how you can use it?

thanks!

Martin

Hi @mbherbener,

In your scenario, please place fields for Group, Values and Color Saturation properties. Then rectangles' color will display as the same color but in different color saturation. See:

z4.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can I use Details AND Color Saturation at the same time?  Or do I have to choose one vs the other?

thanks!

Martin

Hi @mbherbener,

We are not able to use Details and Color Saturation at the same time in a Treemap visual. We can only put fields in Details or Color Saturation separately each time.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi ,

Treemap is not allowing me put any field under color saturation option.

And also is there any option to define the color in the treemap like if value is 0-20 red , 20-40 yellow, 40-60 light green and so on.

Basically coloring the boxes based on the range specified

Thanks

Divya

Hi @DivyaP,

With treemaps you have to choose either Details or Color saturation.  As of today, you cannot use both.  If you already have a field in the Details well, you won't be able to add a field to Color saturation too.

For your other question about defining color ranges, that is not yet possible either.  The closest you can come to that would be to use Color saturation and then in the Formatting tab > Data colors.  There you can set a single color/saturation range, with min, middle, max colors selected or set min and max to specific values.

datacolors.png

HTH,

Michele

DivyaP
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. 

whatever you said is correct, tree map is not allowing to select details and color saturation at the same time.

And the other point as u mentioned, i used diverging color option to show the different colors for different range of data

Ok, in that case the PowerBI tools and the official documentation (which I guess is this: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-treemaps/) should make this clear.  Do you know who I contact about that?

thanks!

Martin

Hi @mbherbener,

The author of this official document is Michele Hart, you can contact her via this email address: michele.hart@microsoft.com.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Updated.  Thanks for letting me know.

I tried on one of mine to use a measure, number column, and text column, with values ranging from 1 to 30,000. All worked, and you should see your tree map going from many different colors to all shades of the same color if it's working. Whatever you drop in the Color saturation box should stay there. I'm not sure why yours is having issues.

Power BI has a treemap tutorial you might try following, just to see if you're overlooking something.

If nothing in there stands out, are you on the latest version? There were at least two versions released in July, the second to correct the first. Several people were having various issues with visuals on the first release.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.