Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

quinnjohnson
Helper I
Helper I

How do i stop Power BI from combining rows with the same number?

The title does not explain this properly but here is the issue. I work in insurance and I have a matrix and in the rows i have put Policy Number. In my dataset there can be multiple rows with the same policy number but in the matrix, it combines them into one row and as a result, makes me pick the "first, last, sum, average, etc." of the values portion. How can i make it so it shows every iteration of the policy numbers in the rows section? I have attached pictures below. As you can see in the first picture, there are FOUR rows in my dataset. this is because there are endorsements added on to the policy that get their own row. we need to see each individual transaction for each policy number.

quinnjohnson_0-1645629963393.png

Howevere here in the picture below, when i put it in a matrix, it only shows the policy number once. it forces me to pick the First source and sum the location number. How can i make it so it shows all 4 of the transactional data rows in the matrix?

quinnjohnson_1-1645630042579.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You could add an index column to the table and add it to the visual:

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-23 164119.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-23 164132.jpg

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You could add an index column to the table and add it to the visual:

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-23 164119.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-23 164132.jpg

Paul on Linkedin.

incredible thank you! I was headed in that direction but you gave me the push over the finish line and for that, i thank you 🙂

If you'd rather not have the index column visible, you can "hide" it by dragging the right boundary (you need to turn off the options of auto-column width and word wrap in the formatting pane)

Captura de pantalla 2022-02-23 164828.jpg

Paul on Linkedin.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You will need to add something to the visual to make each line unique.  powerbi is about aggregations (sum, average, etc) and will always try to show grouped data with an aggregation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.