cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joglidden
Helper IV
Helper IV

How do I use a measure in visual filter? Is this possible?

I can't believe I'm the first person asking this, but I failed to find a satisfactory answer through search...

Why can I not drag and drop a measure into a visual filter field? This just seems SO obvious...

The only thing that I can make work is to type in a value (e.g. 3). What am I missing?

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@joglidden

In Power BI Desktop, it's only supported to apply a range in filter for a numeric field (like measures). Only for text /date field, it will generate a list of containing values. So for your requirement, I suggest you use a calculated column instead of measure to populate values. Then changet the data type into "Text" under "Modeling" tab. 

Capture33.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@joglidden That is not possible currently. Fields are quite static and so requires manual input. You can submit that as an idea and i will vote for it as well but unfortunately filters don't support that yet.

Thanks for the response. I'll submit this as an idea and find another way to attack this problem.

@joglidden

In Power BI Desktop, it's only supported to apply a range in filter for a numeric field (like measures). Only for text /date field, it will generate a list of containing values. So for your requirement, I suggest you use a calculated column instead of measure to populate values. Then changet the data type into "Text" under "Modeling" tab. 

Capture33.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are You Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skills Challenge.

Top Solution Authors