Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I update Power BI Desktop?

This sounds like a stupid question but I actually have problems with this.

When clicking on the update link in the bottom right corner in Power BI desktop I get directed to this page: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-october-2020-feature-summary/ But when clicking on Download Power BI Desktop "my computer tells me" that I already have the product installed.

So again, how do I update the program?

Do I need to uninstall PBI Desktop and download it again?

Best regards

7 REPLIES 7
NasDanu

Indeed, a silly question and yet I'm still asking in 2023. I believe many people are still asking the same questions all the time.

I have the same issue where the update link in bottom right is always leading you to Microsoft Store apps. It always says I already have it installed and only have the "Open" button on the store apps without being able to update or download the latest version.

Then I found this link, where you can always download the latest version to install:

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

I wish Microsoft give the above link whenever PowerBI apps asking to update, not the Microsoft Store one.

hkice
Advocate II
Advocate II

Such a simple question .... yet so many different ways to screw it up.

Instead of Power BI checking if there is a newer version when it starts as most products do - why complicate things !!  Ridiculous on Microsoft's part to complicate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI team updates the Power BI Desktop tool every month, and keeping that manually up-to-date is a big hassle. So if you want to be always on the edge of updates and enjoy the fascinating new features announced every month, considering getting the Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft Store.

Flexibility on Install: Download Link

One of the problems of the Microsoft Store version of Power BI Desktop is that it is not available for all versions of Windows. For some versions, you can only use the download link. Another scenario is that for some reason, someone might want to use an older version of Power BI Desktop for their report development work. Using the Microsoft Store app wouldn’t allow it usually, because it automatically updates. so you will have more flexibility on what you want to have installed and where you want this to be installed using the download link.

Development Work: Both the Same

In terms of building the report, there is no difference between the two versions (if we consider that both versions are up-to-date). You can build exactly the same report using any of these two methods. There will be no difference in the Power BI file (*.PBIX file) that is created using any of these methods. You can open a file created with any of these, using the other one (as long as they are both up-to-date).

Power BI Desktop Report Server is Different

There is another tool with almost the same name as Power BI Desktop but called as Power BI Desktop Report Server. This is the report development tool that only supports reports to be published into Power BI Report Server (which is an on-premises solution for Power BI). This tool is only available through a download link, and there is not Microsoft Store app version for that yet. This tool gets updated every four months, and some of the features of Power BI Desktop is not available for it.

amikm
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Anonymous,

You can download the latest power bi desktop from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

Also, might be you have an older version of PBI installed in your system. You can uninstall that and install the latest version.

If you are installing this PBI desktop from the Microsft store then your PBI desktop will be automatically updated every month, no need to do a manual installation.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Check if you are the latest version, Under file you have option.

If you have installed it using Windows Store then it will update automatically.  Otherwise, you have to download and update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer.

I have the below version:

Version: 2.86.727.0 64-bit (oktober 2020)

And in the bottom right of PBI Desktop it says that a new version is available so I assume this is not the latest version.

E

Hey @Anonymous ,

Please check the Sotware centre of your computer. If it shows update available for Power bi, please Install it from the Software center and restart the computer. I hope it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day 😊

Cheers,

Deepan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.