Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

steambucky
Helper III
Helper III

How do I streamline my calculated columns

Hello my calculated column looks through a customer query for specific key words and returns a value and adds them all up. The higher the number, the more likely it will have the type of data we are looking for. It works fine BUT I want to streamline this, as will need to make similar calculated columns.  

_customer_query =

var _data=IF ( ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "add", 'report'[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

var _find=IF (ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "layer", 'report'[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

var _globe=IF (ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "globe", 'report'[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

var _request_to_add=IF (ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( "request to add", 'report'[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

return _data+_request_to_add+_globe+_find

I will have multiple calculated columns, looking for these key words. As I add more words, I don’t want to have to update all of the calculated column invidually. I want to update one master list of keywords. This code doesn’t work obviously, but you will get what I am going for:

_customer_query=

Var cust_query = IF ( ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( LIST OF KEY WORDS, 'report'[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

Return cust_query

This would be a similar calculated columns but it searches for the same words in different columns:

_customer_response=

Var cust_response = IF ( ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( LIST OF KEY WORDS, 'report'[CUSTOMER_RESPONSE], 1, BLANK () ) ),

0,1)

Return cust_response

These there needs to be this list of words - its not a variable…what would it be?

"add”

"layer"

"globe"

"request to add"

Can anyone give me some advice on some scripting or functions to look into? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @steambucky

After my research, you could try this way:

Step1:

Use  LIST OF KEY WORDS to add a fact table

1.JPG

Step2:

Use this formula to create a calculate table

Table = var _table=GENERATE(report,'Fact') return
var _table2=ADDCOLUMNS(_table,"result",IF ( ISBLANK ( SEARCH ( 'Fact'[Search], report[CUSTOMER_QUERY], 1, BLANK () ) ), 0, 1 ) ) return
_table2

2.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-lili6-msft

Apologies for the lay reply,  I have been on extended sick leave. 

Your solution looks like it would work, but how do a i creat "fact table"?  I am having problems finding it in the menus/functions of powerbi. Or is it just a spreadsheet that I import? A column of the key search words I want to look for in the the data? 

Cheers, 

steambucky

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.