Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I stop "count of" for a line chart with two values Year and Spend?

I am working with a data set that I have input manually and I cannot seem to get the Year and Spend columns to show on a standard bar chart. Power BI keeps formatting it as a "Count of" spend when I put anything into the values box of the visual. All I am looking for is a way to show the amount spent per MAT code in this timeline.

This is a screenshot of the data set https://i.imgur.com/iUFh39O.png I have tried changing the data type and other diagrams and so on.

My two questions are: is there a fix? and if not why and when does Power BI change the data to "count of" data?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Right click on the value field and you could choose to show the value as sum, average, count or other options.

However the value will always be aggregated if the value one x-axis is the same.

So if your table is like:

2022 1

2022 2

2022 3

The result would be like:

2022 6

It is by design.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is that by default? I mean right now I have a data set that shold clearly be represented as a line but it will only show the data as a "count of" type of table. For example here is only of my rows and I cannot get this data to plot as a line across time. It keeps gettign categorized as a "count of"

dydso_0-1651873545894.png

MLorenzen
Frequent Visitor

Hello!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want something like the following?

YearSpend
2022SUM(Spend)

This sounds like Power BI is defaulting the "Spend" field's aggregation to counting, which you can change to summation on either the visual itself or on the report as a whole (which will require re-adding that field into your visual, as each visual tracks the aggregation of its values independently).

To change it on the visual itself, right-click on the "Spend" field in the "Values" section to see what your aggregation options are, and select "Sum" like this:

MLorenzen_0-1649282394868.png

If you want to change the default aggregation method for the "Spend" field across the whole report, you can do so by clicking the field in your "Fields" pane and adjusting that behavior to "Sum" in the ribbon that gets navigated to automatically:

MLorenzen_1-1649282484232.png

I hope this helps!!

davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you right click on the field that is showing count in your visual, you will be presented with some options as below.

davehus_0-1649282579334.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors