Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPendragon
Regular Visitor

How do I sort using my original data order ( ie NOT Alphanumeric but by a sql column order )

Hi, I have a list of accounting lines that I wish to import into a matrix and to retain the order that they appear in the table. I have had to create a subset of the full list of account report names in my sql system and insert a column specifically to index in the order i wish them to appear. This is the native table

Capture01.JPG

However, when I drop the table into the matrix I only have the option to do an alpha sort.  My "solution" was to redo the 'bi_sort' and make it have the sort number and text description. But this means my output matrix report has that as well.

Capture02.JPG

This is not acceptable to management.

I am new to BI and would appreciate some guidance on what steps to take. I am experienced VBA programmer but am struggling with the drag'n'drop nature of BI and wish I could just code all the placements and objects. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

There is a sort by column button in the Modeling tab (I think that is where it is). The cardinality of the column you want to change sort order for (away form alpha) needs to be the same as the sort by column. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi,

The "sort by column" in the modelling tab is greyed out. So not available for me.

Thanks

Mark

Hi @MarkPendragon,

When the visual is selected but no column is selected in the Fields pane, the Sort by Column button is inactive (grayed out). Make sure, you have selected the column which needs to be sorted like month name.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi,  I am sorry but maybe I am missing something simple here. I have tried clicking all combinations of row/column and get these various scenarios highlighted, but none of them activate the 'sort by column' option.  It must be something very simple that I am missing but I cannot see it.  

Capture07.JPG

Capture06.JPG

Capture05.JPG

Capture04.JPG

Capture03.JPG

Should I have 'drill on... columns' selected perhaps ?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi @MarkPendragon,

You should select the column name(highlighted in red line) in the fields area instead of visual as follows.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.