Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

How do I show the lines for the X and Y axis across a Line Chart?

Hi All,

How do I show the lines across the Y and the X axis for this Power BI line chart?

Line Chart.png

I am looking to create lines like the ones below:

produce_monthly.png

Thank you, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @HamidBee 

Unfortunately, this is by design. power BI is now unable to achieve what you need . You can submit an idea for it at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums and wait for users with the same needs as you to vote for you to help make it happen as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
DataGoalsDan
Frequent Visitor

I know this is a bit old now but I just came across the same problem and figured out a work around.

You can make use of the 'Plot area background' image property.

Use snipping tool to take a snip of you chart and paste it into PowerPoint, then add lines exactly where you want them using PowerPoints insert shape option.

Now select the lines you have added using ctrl+click and then right click, 'Save as Picture...'

Then go back into Power BI and add that image as your Plot area Background image and set 'Image fit' to 'Fit'.

Worked out pretty well for me.

This is definitely useful to know. 

mastervivek
Regular Visitor

Thank you. To be honest, it is not a huge deal if I have the lines or not but I thought it would be nice to have them. I'm actually shocked that the Power BI team haven't included that as an option. You'd expect it to be there by default.

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @HamidBee 

Unfortunately, this is by design. power BI is now unable to achieve what you need . You can submit an idea for it at https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums and wait for users with the same needs as you to vote for you to help make it happen as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @HamidBee 

On the standard Line Chart, go to the format options, and on the Y-Axis you can edit the Gridlines (option right at the bottom) You can set the Color, Width and Style.

Burningsuit_0-1643107693332.png

Burningsuit_1-1643107843530.png

This sets the Y-Axis lines (horizontal), however there is no way to set X-Axis lines (vertical) with the standard line chart.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi, Thank you for your response. It's not the gridlines I'm looking for but the lines across the axis like the image below:

produce_monthly.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@HamidBee ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Hi, I was just wondering if the image I shared provided some clarity. Thank you

produce_monthly.png

Hi, I'm referring to these black lines here.

anyone? pls share the above solution for all PBI standard chart 

Hi, 
I think you could re-consider what value these line add to your visual and if they are definitely needed. If business still requires them perhaps adding grindlines would be sufficient as suggested in earlier response.
Alternatively, you could look for a different visual altogether
e.g. this pulse visual provides something similar to what you're looking for

MargaritaG_0-1643205006549.png

or Craydec Control Charts

MargaritaG_1-1643205335349.png

HamidBee
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you. To be honest, it is not a huge deal if I have the lines or not but I thought it would be nice to have them. I'm actually shocked that the Power BI team haven't included that as an option. You'd expect it to be there by default.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.