Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

handwepg
Helper I
Helper I

How do I see the data sources I am currently using?

How do I see what data source(s) currently feeds existing desktop reports?

A while back, I've built several reports, I think, using the data from model_1.pbix.  Now I'd like to make sure that model_1.pbix is my data source.

From the Home menu bar, when I click on Transform data, then Data Source Settings, I get a pop up window allowing me to "Select a dataset to create a report."  But no where does it indicate the dataset I am ***currently*** using on my ***existing*** reports.

I seem to recall I used to be able to see a screen indicating the current data source, but I can't find it anymore.

What am I missing?!

Thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
meenakp
Resolver I
Resolver I

@handwepg, Probably your report is using "Live Connection Power BI dataset" (Shared Datasets). In those cases, you will see only "Reporting" icon on your far left.. But not tables or relationships. and No "Advanced Editor" either...When you open such PBIX, on the bottom left corner you should see "Connected live to the Power BI Dataset: xxxxx in yyyy workspace" where xxxxx is the dataset name.pbii.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@handwepg 
Once you are connected to Power bi Dataset you will not see the permission from datasource setting. Currently there is no way to identify which dataset you are using. As the workaround you can try following:

1. publish the current pbix to power bi service name it as something like"check model1 dataset".

2. go the workpace and find the report name => view related to see wh;ich dataset you are using.

view realted.JPG

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

meenakp
Resolver I
Resolver I

@handwepg, Probably your report is using "Live Connection Power BI dataset" (Shared Datasets). In those cases, you will see only "Reporting" icon on your far left.. But not tables or relationships. and No "Advanced Editor" either...When you open such PBIX, on the bottom left corner you should see "Connected live to the Power BI Dataset: xxxxx in yyyy workspace" where xxxxx is the dataset name.pbii.png

Eureka!  Thanks so much.

pbi2.pngNo tables or relationships icon

amaleranda
Post Patron
Post Patron

@handwepg ,

Answer2.PNGAnswer3.PNG

I don't see the "Data sources in current file" nor "Global permissions" radio buttons.

handwepg_0-1593450776339.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@handwepg , Either use edit Data sources

Or open data Transformation and Right click on Table and open advance Editor, You should get the source information there

Where do I find "Edit Data sources?"  Is it on the Home ribbon?

When I click on "Transform Data" button on the Home ribbon, the only option that is not greyed out is "Data source setting."

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.