Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ianhan13
Helper III
Helper III

How do I see all Applied steps in Query Settings not just summary title

Hi

I have just started using Advanced Query Editor.

When i make a small change and hit done I can still see the applied steps in the right hand Query Settings Panel.

However if I make a cut and paste/major chnage in teh editor and hit done a single Applied Step is shown renamed after the Query.

How do I restore the step by step view or is somethign more significant happening?

Many thanks

Ian

10 REPLIES 10
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ianhan13 ,

Has your problem been solved? Please post your M code in text form and I will test it. Please also replace sensitive information.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ianhan13
Helper III
Helper III

Sorry no point in me sending the code since it is in a shambles. Thank you for explaining why the query steps do not appear and I will commence form scratch repasting line by line until the matter is reosolved

Would still aprreciate an explantion of the purpose of the final line of code after 'In'.

Many thanks

Ian

Hi @ianhan13 , take a look at this documentation here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/quick-tour-of-the-power-query-m-formula-language#creat...

The step after "In" is what is used as the final result set.  Generally, this is the same as the name of the last setp.  From squinting at the screenshot you provided, it looks like you could have a typo in that portion.

many thanks - I will make sure I look after people eye sight going forwards 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ianhan13 you need to paste the code not the image, how you expect someone to understand and debug that tiny image? Help the community to get help, post your questions/replies carefully.

Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

ok many apologies - the image was simply to show the code has no syntax errors and the problem is with the naming convention I am using. I did not want to waste people's valuable time with my poor naming discipline but rather to learn how to get a meaningful display back to debug the issue. Here is code:

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ianhan13 if you change the code in the advanced editor and code is not in the format as it supposes to be then there are chances that you will not see all the steps. Usually, it is an easy fix, but as @ebeery recommended, paste M code here, and will able to look at it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi Chaps 

Thanks so if the code is messed up it won't display the steps in the side panel.

My challenge is the code syntax is ok but i have misnamed table columns when renaming but the only way I know to see the columns names to correct this is via the step by step view?

ianhan13_0-1609875709988.png

Also what is the purpose of the text at the very end after the 'in statment in my case   a tabed in text of  #"filtered Rows3"

ianhan13_1-1609875801106.png

ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ianhan13  is the query still actually executing successfully?  Can you post a screenshot and/or code?

My initial guess is that you've accidentally deleted or overwritten part of the necessary syntax when copy/pasting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.