Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DJLight890
Helper II
Helper II

How do I retrieve values from non-related table | Lookupvalue help?

I am creating a project management table that shows project forecasted hours (planned hours), project actual hours worked, and a column for the difference.  The forecast hours and actual hours tables have no relationship and show many-to-many when trying to connect them. Using the forecast table, I've tried pulling the actual hours over using functions like lookupvalue, but I either get errors or the actual hours values in the table I make are incorrect. I tried searching the forums some, but when trying some of the things in the comments, I couldn't get them to work (such as lookupvalue, merged queries) whether that's me not understanding or the data being too different for me to grasp how the dax could work in my tables.

Wanted result:

WorkerProjectForecasted HoursActual HoursDifference
Andy Man001 Project211
Andy Man002 Project220
Bob Bob001 Project312
Charlie Man001 Project532

Below is my pbix file with mockup data that is close to my actual data. I've created the relationships and in the forecast hours table I left in the column where I tried lookup value and failed.

Link to my pbix file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dzst33jwz1th5j/Project%20Forecast%20and%20Actual%20Hours%20-%20Mockup.pbi...

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@DJLight890 -  You have two fact tables.  Yes they are not related directly to each other, but there can be using Bridging Dimension like "Worker" and "Calendar".  There table will apply filter context to the two fact tables.  You need to create tables for each other dimension - role, project.  Then just find the Actual and Plan columns, and create a measure table.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@DJLight890 -  You have two fact tables.  Yes they are not related directly to each other, but there can be using Bridging Dimension like "Worker" and "Calendar".  There table will apply filter context to the two fact tables.  You need to create tables for each other dimension - role, project.  Then just find the Actual and Plan columns, and create a measure table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.