Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I retrieve a record from another table if it is contained in a value in the current table?

I am trying to use the Query Editor to check if a value in Table1 contains any value in Table2 (EarningTypes) and then return the matching value when found. Here is the custom M query code I am using:

if List.ContainsAny(Text.Split([Trim_null]," "),EarningTypes[Type]) = true then EarningTypes[Type] else ""

It returns a result, but the result appears as a "list" item instead of an actual value. 

Anyone know how I can convert the list record into an actual table value alongside of the original data or simply retrieve the matching record in a manner similar to a Merge Query?

4 REPLIES 4
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Try this custom column

=Text.Combine(List.Intersect({Text.Split([Trim_null]," "),EarningTypes[Type]})," ")

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked perfectly. Unfortunately, I realized after I tried your solution that I was actually wanting to do something slightly different. Currently, my formula splits a string at each occurence of the delimiter. What I actually need is to simply see if a string contains any text that appears as a value in another table and return the matching text.

I have tried modifying this on my own using functions such as List.ContainsAny, but I cannot get it to work.

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you Copy paste a small dataset with expected results?

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad ,

I appreciate all your help and hope the following gives you sufficient information.

This is the OriginalImport table:

CSV String
                      001 Category A    11.11    13.121     1,232.11       1,125.15     Type C      145.21       1,641.85 
      005 Category B        150    2.62       311.24         760.14       Type B        57.25         176.95 
                                                                                      W    Type A          27.00         981.00 

This is an example of Table1 from which I want to return a result if a match is found using:

EarnCodeCategoryJoined
001Category A001 Category A
005Category B005 Category B

This is an example of the Table2 from which I want to return a result if a match is found:

DeductCodeTypeJoined
WType AW Type A
 Type BType B
 Type CType C

This is the DesiredResult table:

CSV StringEarnCodeCategoryDeductCodeType
                      001 Category A    11.11    13.121     1,232.11       1,125.15     Type C      145.21       1,641.85 001Category A Type C
      005 Category B        150    2.62       311.24         760.14       Type B        57.25         176.95 005Category B Type B
                                                                                      W    Type A          27.00         981.00   WType A

The logic I have in mind to populate the columns in the DesiredResult table looks something like this:

EarnCode: IF [CSV String] contains a value in Table1[Joined], then return matching Table1[EarnCode]

Category: IF [CSV String] contains a value in Table1[Joined], then return matching Table1[Category]

DeductCode: IF [CSV String]contains a value in Table2[Joined], then return matching Table2[DeductCode]

Type: IF [CSV String] contains a value in Table2[Joined], then return matching Table2[Type]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.