Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I repeat row values in a matrix?

This seems like a simple formatting issue, but I don't see any options to make it happen.

I have a matrix with three categories in Rows, dates going across in Columns, and values going down. 

The problem is, when I expand all my categories across the matrix, I just get a single instance of each category level, without repeating values. The problem is, when I export the data, I want it to look like a table, with repeated values.

In other words, right now it looks like this:

Category 1Category 2Category 31-Jan2-Jan3-Jan
FoodFruitApples212
  Oranges476
  Bananas952
 VegetablesCelery895
  Carrotts626
Non-FoodPaperToilet Paper321
  Paper Towels784

And I want it to look like this:

Category 1Category 2Category 31-Jan2-Jan3-Jan
FoodFruitApples212
FoodFruitOranges476
FoodFruitBananas952
FoodVegetablesCelery895
FoodVegetablesCarrotts626
Non-FoodPaperToilet Paper321
Non-FoodPaperPaper Towels784

Anyone know how to make this happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Matrix visual, repeated values will be grouped and hided automatically, there is no method to expand your categories across the matrix.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have data as below 

Venkata_chintal_0-1671452421031.png

and the expected output is 

Venkata_chintal_1-1671452451091.png

I was able to achieve 

Venkata_chintal_2-1671452491925.png

but for the groups values are not being repeated. Appreciate any help on this.

Seems like you want to change the stepped layout under options of row headers options.

dilipkumar
Frequent Visitor

i had the same issue. there is awork around. in you dataset, just have an other column of INT and is unique to category3 . something like serial number for your category3 columne. use this column in rowgrouping  at the highest level  you will see the repeated data. 

eg.

1  fruit  apple

2  fruit  orange

3  veg   carrots

Hi

I know this is an old post now and i still can't believe this is not a standard feature of a Matrix yet... But what do you mean by Row Grouping, i can't get the concept of an idex for category three, how would that help?

Thanks

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Matrix visual, repeated values will be grouped and hided automatically, there is no method to expand your categories across the matrix.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-yuezhe-msft : is this issue still there ? or any solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alternatively, You can start with lowest level of grouping as row 1 and highest as row n, that will fall in line with no breaks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.